Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle/Idle cable adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM
dragon78
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle/Idle cable adjustment problem

I've just replaced my drag bars on my 2000 883Hugger Sportster with 12" Ape handlebars and they look pretty sweet. Everything was going well after I got to install the throttle and idle cables. I started installing the cables from the carburator to the throttle control grip handles. I loosen both jam nuts on each cable adjuster and noticed that there was not enough slack to hook the ferrule from each cable over the throttle housing. After 30min I finally hook both ferrules, but I don’t think it should have been that tight. I then started to adjust the cables and started with the throttle. Adjusted the throttle cable, per manual, to have the throttle cam touch the throttle cam stop on the carburator. When I adjusted the throttle cable, it made it hard to have the grip spring back into the normal position. Since both cables (throttle/idle cable) were loosen, if I try to screw the idle cable even more it will only make it harder to turn the grips. My question is has anyone experience this or know what I’m doing wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
tallj2000
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on my 05. I slid the throttle grip towards the end of the bar some. The problem I ran into was the inside of the grip was touching the end of the bar.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

just a thought, is the star wheel (throttle lock??) tight? ive seen this a lot when people try adj cables and the lock/brake thingamajig was tight....

Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 AM
dragon78
Novice

Originally Posted by scooter1128
just a thought, is the star wheel (throttle lock??) tight? ive seen this a lot when people try adj cables and the lock/brake thingamajig was tight....

Scotter1128- Do you mean the throttle friction screw, that is located on the handlebar assembly?If so, yes the screw is loose.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Make sure on the carburetor end of the cables they are fully seated into the mounting bracket. Not sure on your year, but I know the rubbermounts the cable has to slide into a collar on the mounting bracket. And it will pull out while adjusting if you don't keep an eye on it.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
dragon78
Novice

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Make sure on the carburetor end of the cables they are fully seated into the mounting bracket. Not sure on your year, but I know the rubbermounts the cable has to slide into a collar on the mounting bracket. And it will pull out while adjusting if you don't keep an eye on it.
Flatlander- I double checked both cable brackets with what you said and did not find any rubbermounds on the cable bracket on the carburator. But thanks for your reply. I hate to take it to the stealer but this is really getting frustrating

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

If it were me I would spend the money for a half hours work by the dealer. Our local dealer has bailed me out several times on things I spent WAY too much time on. One was a bolt I managed to strip and then spent at least an hour trying to tap it and use an extractor to remove it, no luck. Finally threw in the towel and took it to the dealer. They had the screw out and replaced with a new one in 15 minutes!!

Oh, they only charged me $25.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When it works hard you just have it to tight, loosen it up a little and it will work fine. One last thought did you lube the new cables or put them on dry??

Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 AM
dragon78
Novice

Originally Posted by jag1886
When it works hard you just have it to tight, loosen it up a little and it will work fine. One last thought did you lube the new cables or put them on dry??
Jag1886- Both cable are loose at the jam nuts. If I don’t tighten the throttle cable it will not be adjusted per manual. When I tighten the throttle cable, per manual, the grip becomes hard to twist; loosening the idle cable is no option since they are already loose.

I did lube the cable with HD cable oil. 12 drops per cable. I'm not sure if it requires more oil. I'm wondering if it requires more oil?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

did you re-rout the cables to give them a little more slack than stock? If not, Try that

Quick Reply: Throttle/Idle cable adjustment problem