Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent starting head scratcher...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
mikhailwatt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting head scratcher...

A couple of weeks ago I went to fire up the Sporty (2000 XL1200C) for the commute:

-Ignition switch to “on”
-Lights come on like normal
-Tranny in neutral
-Kill switch to “on”
-Hit the starter button – I hear a relay click and everything goes dead.
-No amount of fiddling with the switch, etc. would bring her to life. No lights, nothing.

That evening, she starts up just fine. Same over the next couple weeks, fires right up.

This morning – you guessed it.

Although this time I managed to get the lights to come back on a couple of times by wiggling the front end around. But each time, starter button/relay click/dead.

I’m suspecting an intermittent short/pinched wire somewhere but, man, I hate trying to trace out a wiring harness...

...and you just KNOW it'll fire right up when I get home. After I've missed another day of open air, 80 degrees and sunshine - and have to wait in line for the ferry with the other cagers...

FWIW – both occurrences have been early morning, after the bike has sat out (covered) unridden for a few days. Condensation playing tricks, perhaps?

Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited by mikhailwatt; 08-25-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

Before chasing the little wires around, start at the source. Make sure your battery is good, holds a charge and the battery cables are both in good shape and securely attached and that the terminals are clean to make good contact.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
STRGLD95
6th Gear

Had the same issue with my o6 st glide, pain in the butt, finally sourced the problem to system on relay. Some bikes the system relay and brake light relay are the same and can be switch to verify the problem.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
Before chasing the little wires around, start at the source. Make sure your battery is good, holds a charge and the battery cables are both in good shape and securely attached and that the terminals are clean to make good contact.
If that were the case it wouldnt have started that evening either

Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you have a queer electron. Loose cable and/or corrosion can play tricks on you. If it sits outside for days, best to check all fuses and relay terminals for corrosion and put some di-electric grease on all connections including both ends of both battery cables.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also wouldn't hurt to change the relays as they may be corroded on the inside and the relay contact is not making a good connection.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikhailwatt
A couple of weeks ago I went to fire up the Sporty (2000 XL1200C) for the commute:

-Ignition switch to “on”
-Lights come on like normal
-Tranny in neutral
-Kill switch to “on”
-Hit the starter button – I hear a relay click and everything goes dead.
-No amount of fiddling with the switch, etc. would bring her to life. No lights, nothing.

That evening, she starts up just fine. Same over the next couple weeks, fires right up.

This morning – you guessed it.

Although this time I managed to get the lights to come back on a couple of times by wiggling the front end around. But each time, starter button/relay click/dead.

I’m suspecting an intermittent short/pinched wire somewhere but, man, I hate trying to trace out a wiring harness...

...and you just KNOW it'll fire right up when I get home. After I've missed another day of open air, 80 degrees and sunshine - and have to wait in line for the ferry with the other cagers...

FWIW – both occurrences have been early morning, after the bike has sat out (covered) unridden for a few days. Condensation playing tricks, perhaps?

Thanks for any ideas!
check the ground cable from the battery to the motor. My boys 2000 had some of the same issues . The cable was broke. Sometimes it would make contact and sometimes it wouldn't.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 PM
XTsHOG
Tourer

Had the same thing happen today and found the ground cable on the battery not fully tight. Moved it around and fired right up. Still have to tighten it down , though hehe.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Also sometimes when you slide the battery out to check the cable connections all is fine but when you slide the battery back in the cable swivels on the connection loosening it.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STRGLD95
Had the same issue with my o6 st glide, pain in the butt, finally sourced the problem to system on relay. Some bikes the system relay and brake light relay are the same and can be switch to verify the problem.
+1

been there....
shot you a message with more details, should be in your "in-box".

Last edited by ride2tires; 08-25-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add-on comment

Quick Reply: intermittent starting head scratcher...