Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Low xl1200l suspension

Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
sonnyb3
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Low xl1200l suspension

I was just about to make an offer on a 2009 Black xl1200l when I came across a 2008 Crimson Red xl1200l. The 2008 could be a real bargain. I read on Totalmotorcycle.com that 2009 HD made suspension changes to improve the ride on the 2009 xl1200l.

Other than the bike fitting me correctly , the ride is the most important thing to me. Anyone know if the improvements are substancial enough not to get the better deal on the 2008.

Im so sick of looking , I just have tio plunk the money down.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM
rwjjr
Tourer

I your looking for a smooth ride maybe the sportster aint the bike you want.......you can improve them over factory with some better shocks.Id say no difference in the 08 and 09 suspension if they are the same model.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2009 1200L in that very nice red.
If they improved the ride for 2009, the 2008 must be almost unusable, because the ride of a stock 2009 1200L is as bad as it gets short of a hard tail.

But some 13 inch progressive shocks (412 series heavy duty) and changing the fork oil, and or using progressive springs in the forks does wonders for the ride, it gets very plush, plus you have more ground clearance.

The stock seat is also worthless, the sundown is very nice, although I had to modify mine.
Add some hiway pegs and lower handlebars and you are good to go all day long.

You can get a new 2009 1200L for about $8500.00 or less....
Red, black and chrome motor looks great to me, trouble free mag wheels, good brakes, bigger gas tank, plenty of power stock, I bashed out the baffles so I could hear the motor some (its not loud).

Very fun, handles quite well, comfortable enough to go on a long trip on, ok two up but tight with two bigger people on board.
I think it looks great, sounds great and rides great.
Stock it looks great, has no sound, and rides nasty.

Brett

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

I had an 07, now have an 09. The 09 does ride marginally better, however at some point I will be going to progressives. If you're expecting a Cadillac, you're looking at the wrong bike. If you want fun, good power and nimble handling, then you will appreciate what the 1200L is.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Between the two, I would get the 2008 and use the difference in price to get a pair of new rear shocks. If you were to get a pair of new Progressive rear shocks they usually have a special that includes a new pair of front fork springs too! A pair of Ricor Intimidators will also help out the front fork springs whether you use the stock front fork springs or the Progressive front fork springs. A different seat is also something that you will want to look into as the stock unit is very thinly padded to help make for a lower total seat height. On a used Harley, in many cases, the previous owner has already made improvements to the bike and that can save you some money as well. High flow air intake and free flowing exhaust pipes are just a few of the normal things that are replaced by new Harley owners and you might benefit from that with a used Harley. Good luck on you purchase what ever it is and ride safe out there!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
sonnyb3
6th Gear

How much taller is the 13 inch progressive shocks you mention from stock. Problem is , Im kinda short and another two inches would mean no more flat footing the bike.
I am 175 lbs would standard or Heavy duty be better for the shock selection.

I just cant find the perfect bike between size and ride. Superglide is too fat for me , but the sporty looks great and fits nice in the low verson. In order to accomplish that lowness they sacrificed comfort by shaving the seat and lowering the suspension travel. .....

Last edited by sonnyb3; 06-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends.
On my 2009, the stock shocks were 11.6 inches long.
I scraped everything going around gentle turns because there was no ground clearance.
I then got 12 inch progressives, then 12.5 inch ones, the ride was good with the 12 inch ones, better with the 12.5 inch ones, and should be really nice with the 13 inch ones.
If you set the shocks soft, the bike rides lower.
A half inch (or an inch) longer shock should not make a big difference in getting your feet on the ground.

The mustang vintage wide seat is likely what you want for a better seat, its low and a bit forward, but much nicer then the stock seat.
I have one for sale, its too low and forward for me at 6 foot.

The sundown seat is thick and will add a lot of height to the ride.

Brett

Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
kabluie
Cruiser

I have an '08 low and really like the bike, but it's my first Harley so I don't really know the difference. The bike is absolutely box stock. The seat sucks, but after about a year either my *** is broke in to the to it or the seat has softened a little bit. I like the stiffer ride and the bike seems to ride better than I do. It's sort of like my rifles shooting better than I do. I keep planning on getting a fresh seat but never seem to get around to buying it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How much taller is the 13 inch progressive shocks you mention from stock. Problem is , Im kinda short and another two inches would mean no more flat footing the bike.
I am 175 lbs would standard or Heavy duty be better for the shock selection.

If you are planning to do a lot of 2 up, with gear, I would lean towards the Heavy Duty, otherwise I would stick with the regular version. You could also give Progressive Suspension a quick call. They are cool people to deal with and can give you a recommendation as well.

I just cant find the perfect bike between size and ride. Superglide is too fat for me , but the sporty looks great and fits nice in the low verson. In order to accomplish that lowness they sacrificed comfort by shaving the seat and lowering the suspension travel. .....

Yeah… Harley has the market cornered on really great ideas. (NOT) I have a 1973 850 Norton Commando that has rubber motor mounts and a diaphragm clutch on it. I think it was in 2004 that Harley added the rubber motor mounts to their engine and the diaphragm clutch was installed back in 1984. Yeah… they are on top of it!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
longblack1
Cruiser

For 100.00+/- you can toss 12 inch air shocks on the rear and greatly improve the ride. You can see them in my pic.

Attached Thumbnails Sportster Low xl1200l suspension-038.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster Low xl1200l suspension