Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good place to tap into the acc circuit?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkS1de
Just recently did the battery tender mod to use for my gps.
The battery tender pigtail can be bought at the local auto parts store in the trailer section for under $3.
Didnt feel like looking for the right wire to tap in for the acc. Plus its easy to unplug the whole setup after the day's ride.
Well that's fine and dandy, but if you had bothered to read my post, you will have seen that I already have done that, and have been running like that for a while. I'm looking to clean it up some with less bulk.

MH

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM
riderron
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I did it was to use the gray accessories lead that is on top of the oil tank left side rear. Harley has a special connector, available in parts, to use that lead. I installed a 20 amp relay on the side of the battery below the main fuse. I used one from the parts store that was set up for fog lights so it gave me 2 switched positive pins. The bolt for the oil tank seams to make a good ground for the relay. I used 1 pin for the GPS cradle the other one I ran to the center of the handle bar. I connect that lead to a power let tank bag power kit. I used the sae extension cord from Harley ,cut off one end and hooked to the relay pos pin. for the ground I used the neg battery lug on the crank case. I went ahead and removed the tank and feed all the wires thru the wiring caddy that sits under the tank. I talked to a C B installer guy and he said the best place to get 12 volt switched is from tail light wire that comes out of the connector that sits on top of the oil tank. This set up supply's me with enough outlets to power cell charger and heated gear without adding more connectors to the battery .
Any questions and I will be glad to help.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have a handlebar mount for my gps with wired power and have added other accessories. I used an auto lighting relay with its own fused supply from the battery, switched from the bike's ignition switch. The relay came with the simple wiring diagram needed. So power goes from the battery to relay, then on to added accessories. Simples!