Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good place to tap into the acc circuit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good place to tap into the acc circuit?

Hey everyone,

Currently I am running 2 cigarette lighter style plugs hooked to the battery via battery tender plugs. I run a gps circuit on one and my MP3 player booster on the other.

I'm wanting to get these switched over to the ACC circuit and I am trying to find a good place to do so. I'm really trying to avoid dropping the oil tank to get into the backside of the acc fuse in the fusebox. Or to lift the tank to get to the ignition switch. (at least according to what the service manual says)

The reason I want to do this and not leave them hardwired to the battery is that I unexpectedly didn't ride the bike for a couple weeks and had forgotten to unplug one of the adapters. The red light on the adapter drained my battery in that time. I'm wanting to avoid this happening again.

I'm thinking that the red/grey wire would be best so that if I did have a problem with a short, it wouldn't affect rest of the components on the acc circuit since it would be before the fuse for it.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MH

Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

bumping this up as I am still looking.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you should be able to use a fuse tap. its just a metalic thingy that goes in one blade of the fuse slot, and the fuse slips in on top of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
plysat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's real easy, you can tap in under the seat... having said that, I figured it out using the wiring diagram in my service manual, which I don't have with me so... I'll check back tonite and post if you need it...

Originally Posted by MechsHands
Hey everyone,

Currently I am running 2 cigarette lighter style plugs hooked to the battery via battery tender plugs. I run a gps circuit on one and my MP3 player booster on the other.

I'm wanting to get these switched over to the ACC circuit and I am trying to find a good place to do so. I'm really trying to avoid dropping the oil tank to get into the backside of the acc fuse in the fusebox. Or to lift the tank to get to the ignition switch. (at least according to what the service manual says)

The reason I want to do this and not leave them hardwired to the battery is that I unexpectedly didn't ride the bike for a couple weeks and had forgotten to unplug one of the adapters. The red light on the adapter drained my battery in that time. I'm wanting to avoid this happening again.

I'm thinking that the red/grey wire would be best so that if I did have a problem with a short, it wouldn't affect rest of the components on the acc circuit since it would be before the fuse for it.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MH

Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by plysat
It's real easy, you can tap in under the seat... having said that, I figured it out using the wiring diagram in my service manual, which I don't have with me so... I'll check back tonite and post if you need it...
I've got the service manual and the wiring diagram in it. Thats how I knew the color wire, and what it entails to remove the fuse block etc. On my 06 (pre efi model naturally) the fuse block is above the aoil tank, not along side it like it is on my wifes 09.

I just figured I'd do some asking from others experience before I go digging in too deep, since the wiring harness is sleeved.

MH

Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
plysat
Tourer

Originally Posted by MechsHands
I've got the service manual and the wiring diagram in it. Thats how I knew the color wire, and what it entails to remove the fuse block etc. On my 06 (pre efi model naturally) the fuse block is above the aoil tank, not along side it like it is on my wifes 09.

I just figured I'd do some asking from others experience before I go digging in too deep, since the wiring harness is sleeved.

MH
With the SM you can also find an acc wire in the harness(es) under the seat. What I did (i think... was a while ago) was push back the harness sleeve at the connector under the seat and use a posi tap (awesome things... http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html) to get into the circuit. Then just grounded it to a nearby screw. ez!

Last edited by plysat; 07-06-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,352 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Were are you running the wires to ? I needed power up front by my bars .And I just drilled a hole in the rear bottom of my headlight and put a rubber gromet in the hole and tap the wire inside the headlight. You can also put a small female plug into the light instead of the rubber gromet.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM
bigdaddy200
Advanced

Keep us posted on your results...I just ordered a Battery Tender style pigtail for the same thing (GPS power). Planned to just unplug it when I am parked...if I go more than a few days without riding I usually plug in the battery tender anyway.

Tapping into the acc circuit would be a lot more permanent and cleaner mod.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigdaddy200
Keep us posted on your results...I just ordered a Battery Tender style pigtail for the same thing (GPS power). Planned to just unplug it when I am parked...if I go more than a few days without riding I usually plug in the battery tender anyway.

Tapping into the acc circuit would be a lot more permanent and cleaner mod.
Thats how I have mine currently setup. Well sorta LOL. I have one battery tender type plug with the 12vdc power outlet pigtail. I have it run so the outlet is below the tank on the left side. Then the gps plug is run up along the wring harness with the mount on the left bar. Its zip tied into place with just enough slack to separate the power plug just enough to break the circuit and kill the red light (that drained my battery when I lost my job and didn't ride for 3 weeks because I forgot about it. The tender plug is back by the battery. You have to look hard to see any of it which is a plus.

I then have a second tender plug that sticks up near the seat. I plug the opposite side into that. The power outlet and my booster goes into my jacket pocket along with my mp3 player. It works but it is bulky.

This is why I want to tap into the ACC circuit so it cleans it up and I can ride with a vest or shirt and still have music since all I would need to place in a pocket is the mp3 player. I would have 2 power outlets tied to the tap and then have a tender plug that is used for only that. This also keeps me from cutting up the power cords for my devices and gives me a little more flexibility later on if I change devices. The only thing visible would be 2 1/8" stereo jacks.

I'm hoping to get it all fitted behind the battery cover. I may have to put the booster under the seat next to the ICM depending on space but I wont know until my mustang regal duke gets here.

I had thought of the headlight, but would have trouble hiding the power junction like I currently have or will have.

Thanks for the feedbacks so far I do appreciate it.

MH

Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
DarkS1de
Novice

Just recently did the battery tender mod to use for my gps.
The battery tender pigtail can be bought at the local auto parts store in the trailer section for under $3.
Didnt feel like looking for the right wire to tap in for the acc. Plus its easy to unplug the whole setup after the day's ride.

Quick Reply: good place to tap into the acc circuit?