Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
m3apx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear brake pedal

I did a ride this past weekend with a bunch of crazed metric riders (never again). Trying to keep up with my '08 Nightster was interesting. I had to use the brakes fairly hard to slow for the turns. In my "panic", I realized that my right foot was slipping off the brake pedal at times. I'm now watching more closely and I see that my right foot, in normal riding position, only covers 1/2 of he brake pedal. My foot is slipping off the right side of the pedal. I would like to install a larger pedal. HD doesn't really have anything. Does anyone know of an aftermarket larger brake pedal that fits the Nightster? Or perhaps I can replace it with a pedal from another model bike.

I know I may be a little paranoid, but I would feel more comfortable knowing that the full pedal is directly under my foot at all times. I know forward controls may help, but I do like the mids. Thanks, Ron.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 288 Posts

I recall seeing (maybe on this forum) a modified brake pedal where the pad was cut off and a shifter stud and rubber were installed. In other word the bike had a matching shifter pad and brake pedal pad.

Seems to me what you are seeking is a larger pedal pad onto which your boot applies
pressure.

I think fabrication is your option.
So maybe cut the pad in half, weld in a 1/2 extension and reassemble.
Or find a different pad and attached with bolts though the current one.

You may be able to heat and bend the current pedal assembly to a shape you like or cut the pedal and weld in a extension with a bend to your liking. I do like like the safety aspect of this option though.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on what he ^^^^ said. I know someone on this site got a replacement pad from a BT that mounts with a bolt or two....And they just drilled a hole or two through the current brake pedal to mount it securely.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

Replacement pad from a BT sounds like a good suggestion. But, I'm going to show my ignorance - which HD model is the BT?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m3apx
I did a ride this past weekend with a bunch of crazed metric riders (never again). Trying to keep up with my '08 Nightster was interesting. I had to use the brakes fairly hard to slow for the turns. In my "panic", I realized that my right foot was slipping off the brake pedal at times. I'm now watching more closely and I see that my right foot, in normal riding position, only covers 1/2 of he brake pedal. My foot is slipping off the right side of the pedal. I would like to install a larger pedal. HD doesn't really have anything. Does anyone know of an aftermarket larger brake pedal that fits the Nightster? Or perhaps I can replace it with a pedal from another model bike.

I know I may be a little paranoid, but I would feel more comfortable knowing that the full pedal is directly under my foot at all times. I know forward controls may help, but I do like the mids. Thanks, Ron.
I have the same issue but it's because I am 5'2" with fwds....what I did was I purchase a large pedal at my local dealer, drilled a hole in my stock pedal and set the new larger pedal with the hardware it came with. A little blue loctite and BAM! I since dropped my bike on it's side and got the pedal gnarled up pretty good. The good news is that the pedal acted like a crash bar, stayed in place, although all bent to hell, and saved my tank. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. It was actually my first "mod" he he....

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
chevy94ss
Road Captain

BT= Big Twin(Softail, Touring, and Dynas I believe)

Old 07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

A photo would be great. Do you recall which HD model the larger pedal came from?

Looks like I have some options to choose from.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Can't recall, but it was a large pedal. I'd say 2x3.5" It was similar to this one but this one looks smaller

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/243-...0pedal&Ntk=All

There's a link to the instructions (a pdf file) you'll get the jist from that. I'll ahve to wait til I ge home for a pic of mine. Or I can go out to the parking lot and take a pciture of the hole in my stock pedal HA HA

Old 07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

Looks like there are options. I'm just surprised that no one makes a bolt-on replacement pedal for the Nightster.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by m3apx
Looks like there are options. I'm just surprised that no one makes a bolt-on replacement pedal for the Nightster.
stealer told me they don't make one for SPORTSTER period. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear brake pedal