Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust on chrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rust on chrome

went away for a coupla weeks and covered the bike. when i got home, uncovered and noticed that it had lotsa little rust dots on several chrome parts. guess that the cover must have had some moisture inside? very weird.

tried some chrome polish and details sprays. nothing is working well. what do you do to remove chrome rust?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Daniel Hunter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

0000 steel wool and then polish with a rag and Simichrome

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

do you have a pool? I know its a very odd question.. but do NOT keep pool chem. especially chlorine in the same area you keep your bike.. it will rust it out quick.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
mrmeanbean74
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sos pads work get because they have that blue soap stuff in them.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I use a polish made in Germany called Wenol. No hard scrubbing required. Just a small bit of polish and a microfiber cloth. It took the rust off my chrome spoked wheels and a few other chrome parts. I have not had any rust return in over 12 months.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM
canadiancruiser
Intermediate

used metal polish non corrosive for the rust on my spokes worked well

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

danielhunter- good tip and i will try it
3rdgear- no pool/ no chlorine. i have ridden near the beach recently. must have gotten some salt air - thats the only thing i can guess. thought i had detail sprayed the bike after that ride, but my memory must be slipping...
mrmeanbean- another good tip. i wonder what the size comparo is to danielhunter's 0000 steel wool is. no chance of scratches with the sos?
dallassporster- yet another good tip. gonna have to try everything on here on diff parts of the bike. will track down the wenol.
canadiancruiser- am guessing that this is similar to wenol?

thanks guys for the great feedback. i hate the way this rust makes me feel, but after reading this thread i feel much better!!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

Yep that fancy bike cover is rain proof ,inside the gararge on a cold cement slab the bike sweats underneath it,i now cover my bike with a blanket,And i'll use the cover for a trip when it needs to stand outside.H

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeler
Yep that fancy bike cover is rain proof ,inside the gararge on a cold cement slab the bike sweats underneath it,i now cover my bike with a blanket,And i'll use the cover for a trip when it needs to stand outside.H
+1 - When stored in a garage the cover needs to be breathable. An old bed sheet works well also. Also, parked inside or out, never cover a bike until the motor is cold or the trapped heat will cause condensation to form under the cover.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 - When stored in a garage the cover needs to be breathable. An old bed sheet works well also. Also, parked inside or out, never cover a bike until the motor is cold or the trapped heat will cause condensation to form under the cover.

All very true, I also have a cheap box fan blowing air under the sheet to keep the air moving and to keep the moisture down. I live in south Louisiana where humidity is always a problem.

Quick Reply: rust on chrome