Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 LHX 1000 Sportster - AMF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Cowboy4
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 LHX 1000 Sportster - AMF

Looking at buying one. All original except the exhaust. Runs great no leaks!!! I'm just starting out. Is this a good year and model for Harley Sportsters? I have heard the AMF models were inferior. ??? Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I understand, the AMF years were not good at all. Something about a sports equipment company making bikes.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
From what I understand, the AMF years were not good at all. Something about a sports equipment company making bikes.
+1 I was just up at at guy's place and he had sheds, trailers, and garages full of bikes/parts. Every time I pointed out an AMF Harley, he pretty much said this exact line.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW! Everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess, even if it is not based on personal experience. I happen to own and ride a 1977 XLCR Sportster that was produced during the AMF years. It is a GREAT bike. I LOVE it. I have not had any real problems with my AMF motorcycle. I currently have around about almost 34,000 miles or so on it now. Not the most miles on a motorcycle I know, but to be fair I own other motorcycles and I switch from ride to ride over the years. When I first bought it in 1982, it was my daily rider and for quite a few years it was the only motorcycle that I wanted to ride around on. I went to every Laughlin River Run in Laughlin, Nevada for 14 years straight (about 330 miles one way) and to the first three Street Vibrations in Reno, Nevada (about 500 miles one way) on that bike. The Polar Bear run and so many Toy Runs over the years I have lost count. I would not turn down a motorcycle made during the AMF years IF IT WAS IN GOOD SHAPE AND KEPT IN GOOD REPAIR. My opinion is that I do not own the ONE AND ONLY AMF motorcycle ever made that actually works correctly. As a matter of fact, there are many AMF motorcycles that are considered collectable motorcycles. ANY motorcycle by any manufacturer that has NOT been well maintained or serviced regularly will probably have plenty of problems with them. There are many members here on the HDForums that ride Ironhead Sportsters and just love them. If you don’t mind having to maintain your motorcycle and do the servicing when suggested by the factory manual, you should probably enjoy that Sportster if it is in as good of shape as you indicate that it is. Good luck with your purchase and ride safe out there!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you sure you don't man "XLH" instead of "LHX"??

But even so, and speaking of 'AMF' Harley's......

I've owned 2 "AMF Era Harley's", and they are two of the best Harley's that I've ever owned.

Bought a brand new 1972 FX SuperGlide Shovelhead and ran the crap out of it, cruising across country many times without any major problems. I was riding with a MC on the east coast at the time, and quite a few of the guys purchased the SuperGlides. They were considered powerful cruisers at the time, and I don't recall anyone having any out of the ordinary problems. About the only 'not stock' thing we did to the FX's was to install some chrome fabricated forward controls, and throw on some 4" over tubes. Great bikes, and I wish I would have kept mine...

I still own my 1981 LowRider Shovelhead. I guess it could be considered a 'AMF' bike as AMF was still in control until later in 1981. It's also been a great bike.

From what I've heard the main problems with AMF bikes took place between 1973 to 1976.

In 1973 the new York plant opened to handle assembly of their new line of 'cruisers'. Production numbers were really cranked up, but at the same time quality control suffered.

I don't see any problem at all picking up a good condition 1979 Sportster, and for what it's worth below is some information dealing with that specific year:

1979:

All models got the XLCR frame and exhaust (Siamese).
XLT was dropped from the product line.
Kick starter was dropped.
Disc brakes front and rear.
Hugger model available for the first time.
Last year for XLCH
New model XLS appeared:
Extended forks
16" rear wheel
siamese exhaust
drag bars on 3.5" risers
sissy bar w/leather pouch
highway pegs
2 piece seat
chromed rear sprocket
Production Information:
XLH (6,525)
XLCH (141)
XLS -(5,123)
XLCR (9) (?leftover '78's?)

Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

If they are trashing AMF, they likely never owned one and are just regurgitating what they heard someone say... Kids, they only repeat what they hear..

I had 2 a 1972 FLH, which never once let me down, left me stranded or made me wish I never bought it..
And a 1982 Lowrider. Stroked to 93".. Was a bad *** little bike.. Sportster tank and stripped of anything no essential. Kick only... Loved it too..

DOnt listen to everything you hear..

The one issue I knew of what a sportster issue not an AMF issue and it's the tranny being weak. But like I said. I never owned one of those and I only seen one go bad. so I wouldnt take that as gospel either.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
hasselme0
Novice

I have a 79 xls great bike I liked it so much I made it into a rigid. Some parts are a bitch to find but most are not. You may never find the original exhaust and if so they are a small fortune. If the milage is low and it runs good then I would go for it. Some say that if AMF did not take over Harley they may not exist today.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Buy it

Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

J&P Cycles has a 'Vintage & Restoration Catalog' for the 1929 through 1984 Harley's.

I still have a Panhead and Shovelhead, and it's a great place to pick up those 'hard to find' parts...

It also covers the early Sportster models.

I believe you almost build one of these older models from scratch with all the parts they have available.....

Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 1975 XLCH back in 1979, rode it for three seasons absolutely trouble free. Just routine maintenance. Traded it in on a 1967 Firebird, don't have either one now, wish I did.

Last edited by Blackcherry Low; 07-22-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 1979 LHX 1000 Sportster - AMF