Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo relocate 04 XL883C

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speedo relocate 04 XL883C

Putting a bike together for my wife. She wants a rat rod theme but doesn't want to alter her 03.

Changed the bars & risers so the speedo & indicator lights needed a new home...and it doesn't need to be perfect (rat rod)...

Started with the chrome upper tree facia.

Cut a small plate for the indicator light bezel.

Dug up some spare ladder bar gussets.

This is the gauge cup I use for speedo's.

Welded it all together & powdercoated it satin black.

Test fit.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

trick dude. more pics of the bike please......

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks Good.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks.

I don't have many pics because we just started on it. It's supposed to be a winter project but she's been coming to the shop & messing with it here & there.

It was wrecked. Very light front end.

My local HD dealer was on the way when I was bringing it home so I stopped by there to have them check the neck & frame. They looked at it for a few minutes & said it was ok.

When I took the front end off I had a local indy shop owner come by & check it out for a second opinion. He actually brought some tools to measure it & to change the neck bearing races. He gave it a clean bill of health so that made me feel alot better about putting my wife on a previously damaged bike.

Her 03 has alot of chrome & she doesn't want this one to be that way so some of it had to go.

You can see the air cleaner I made for it in that last pic. It needs to be powdercoated...wish I would've remembered that last night when I had the oven on.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's kind of a better pic of the bars/grips/risers & stick mirror all from Licks.

Also got a peanut tank from Ebay.

She'll be running 9 spoke mags from an old Dyna probably red with wide white walls.

She fell in love with a rat rod I built & I imagine that will be some of her inspiration for this one. The paint & overall look will be her "vision". I just have to make it all work together.

Here's the rat rod.

I'm assuming it will a bike version of that truck.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude I love the rat truck! i want to build one someday. The bike is looking sweet and I love the gas cap-I might have to seat that idea since I have an extra cap and a spiner from a Player wire wheel. keep up the good work.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. It took 2 weeks to do that truck. I built the whole frame & every suspension piece (air ride).

She did the gas cap. She keeps seeing ppl drill holes in everything so she tried it out. It fits perfectly on the cap & even has a set screw to secure it in place. It's an American Racing spinner cap and on the backside it reads MADE IN THE USA. But the wheels are OEM HD Dyna wheels. When I took the tires off I was amused by the big print inside the rim that reads JAPAN lol. I don't care where they were made but I enjoy the Irony when I hear DB's on Harleys whining about the Jap Crap I ride occassionally.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

We were out on the bikes yesterday & she wanted to swing by the shop to check out her bike and decided that she doesn't like the speedo/indicator light mount. It was fun making it but she wants something different. I wasn't a huge fan of it either.

I didn't really feel like working on anything...but she did. We haven't come up with another speedo idea yet so with just a little instruction, she powdercoated & installed her air cleaner while I watched tv.

I came to check it out & noticed that she forgot the seals & gaskets but I didn't mention it. I'll fix it this weekend when she's at a family reunion.

She's really taking the reigns on her bike project & I'm diggin that.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Made in the USA LOL! what a joke that is. I have a jap bike and love it-it will do anything my HD will do 10 times better LOL!

That's so cool that she is working on her own bike and it's good that you check stuff out to make sure it's done right. My GF loves bikes and riding on the back, but does not want her own or work on them. My Ex loved to ride and wanted her own and liked to work on them from time to time.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

We worked on the speedo deal again.

I have some old HD front ends in the back of the shop. She pulled this headlight bucket & bracket off of a wide glide unit and I used part of it to make a bracket to hold it and the speedo.

So now we need a place to put the indicator lights.

Drilled some holes in some scrap 14 gauge plate.

In high school and half of college I was an installer at a car audio shop. I have piles of left over parts. I scrounged up 5 l.e.d.'s that were options in alarms. 3 green, 1 red & 1 blue but all clear when off.

For this.

Earlier I ran some wires through the bars for a guy and she wanted that too...but hers weren't drilled. The vise left some marks on the finish when I was drilling them so I stripped them down and powdercoated them satin. That wasn't that big of a deal because the finish had some imperfections in them when they came in and I wasn't a fan of the type of coating they had anyway. I don't know what it was but if it was powdercoat it was cheap because it blasted right off.

I'm getting ready to powdercoat the rest of the parts. I'll post more pics when they're done & installed.

Quick Reply: Speedo relocate 04 XL883C