Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side cover falls off

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
tennman0258
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side cover falls off

Got an 08 1200XL Low and the left hand battery side cover falls off . Come to find out I think there are suppose to be two plastic clips the the top of the cover fastens too . I only have one . Question is , are there suppose to be two of these cheap clips ? If so I need one . Any suggestions to where to buy one besides at a dealer ? Any other ways to secure besides the clips ? Thanks in advance for any help ...

Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Drill a small hole and zip tie the cover to the frame, or order the clips.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Crazy K38
Advanced

you could use zip ties, hose clamps, wire ties, any number of things, but I think the factory clips are pretty cheap and a ziptie will hold you over till it comes in

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Other threads about this. Drill a hole through the clip, just big enough to drop a zip-tie through the hole. Real easy. Don't tie the zip=tie, just drop it through.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Cazimere
Road Captain

I'm bettin its the front clip missin. If it is, check and see if it has fallen down on top the battery. Mine did till i screwed the dam thing in place. I also added the zip tie for insurance : )

Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM
desert drifter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tennman0258
Got an 08 1200XL Low and the left hand battery side cover falls off . Come to find out I think there are suppose to be two plastic clips the the top of the cover fastens too . I only have one . Question is , are there suppose to be two of these cheap clips ? If so I need one . Any suggestions to where to buy one besides at a dealer ? Any other ways to secure besides the clips ? Thanks in advance for any help ...
I had the same problem as you can see in the pic i used a cable tie/zip tie, there was already a slot in the cover it has never come off since, I carry a spare couple of tie's in my tool bag in case.....

Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by desert drifter
I had the same problem as you can see in the pic i used a cable tie/zip tie, there was already a slot in the cover it has never come off since, I carry a spare couple of tie's in my tool bag in case.....

+1

I have read about this problem several times and was worried it might happen to me. One day, when I had my seat off, I noticed a small slit in the left upper corner of the cover as well as a same size slit in the frame that lines up perfectly. One zip tie later the cover is securely attached.

Check your bike for these slits as Desert Drifter showed in the picture with the yellow zip tie.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great timing on this thread- thanks op...
i was having charging issues and had pulled the cover off to check the pigtail. then went for a ride and noticed my cover hanging down. thats not a good feeling!
pulled over and got it to attach, but i think it was only on the top left. could not get the right top to grab.
so this thread is very helpful. i will secure it better when i get home
thanks guys!!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

It concerns me that our our bikes were built with a hole on the cover and frame that was obviously meant for a zap strap.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master

zip tie, or cable wrap whatever they call it. works great

Quick Reply: Side cover falls off