Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Best bang for the buck is the SE A/C that uses the stock outside of the ham can, at least according to HD and every enthusiast magazine.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks pretty near to what's stock. What are the upsides?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Airflow, horsepower, torque. The backside of the ham can is removed, and the element is a much different design (rumor has it that it is built by K&N, but I can't confirm that of my own knowledge) that flows more air at every RPM. Plus, since there are so few new parts, it is VERY inexpensive.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Aslow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong. Got any dyno sheets showing a difference in performance with just those air cleaners changed out?

Do you? Otherwise don't start your reply by telling a guy he's wrong. Kinda rude if you ask me.
There was another thread posted about a guy who did get the SE Stage 1 A/C dynoed as well as the HB. The stage one was better as far as a power gain. That said, I believe it was all done on an 883 and there was an argument that the smaller engine wouldn't necessarily respond to more air intake because it couldn't do anything with it anyway. Don't know if that's true or not, just saying what I read.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
madmax442
Tourer

I'm pretty sure K&N doesn't make the air filter element. The HD filter isn't the same looking and from what I gather doesn't flow as well either. I would suggest the heavy breather! It made a seat of the pants difference on my 1200 Nightster!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No difference until I see the charts back to back: SE Stage 1 and Heavy Breather

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Wrong. Got any dyno sheets showing a difference in performance with just those air cleaners changed out?

The Heavy Breather is a good option, and in my opinion one of Harley's options that aren't hugely overpriced. And you can use whatever fuel management system you want, it doesn't have to be the Harley one if you don't want to. You can use any fuel management system with any air cleaner (technically), the only difference may be a little performance depending on which you pick.
I'm agree on TekDiver that Heavy Breather is no better for performance. I will be happily proven wrong if I see a back to back on dyno tuning. I'm not saying that the Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 is better, but wondering if there is any dyno confirmation (show the charts) to demonstrate that the Heavy Breather is better.

I have a SE Stage 1, but am not biased one bit around this. My belief is the limiting factor for performance for a Sporty is not the intake breather, but other factors (airbox size, heads, cams, large volume exhaust).

Choose for looks, cost, or "appearance of performance", etc., not for performance until a direct comparison shows up.

Knee clearance wise, not sure.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Airflow, horsepower, torque. The backside of the ham can is removed, and the element is a much different design (rumor has it that it is built by K&N, but I can't confirm that of my own knowledge) that flows more air at every RPM. Plus, since there are so few new parts, it is VERY inexpensive.
Tekdiver,

I agree. If I recall correctly, the SE Stage 1 breather provides all the CFMs of air that a Harley motor can effectively use. Bang for the buck, until dyno tests prove otherwise--it is a the top of the charts in my book.

Karl

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Elkwater
Advanced

anybody drop coin on a roland sands air cleaner? I really like the look of the new contrast turbine. I was leaning toward the heavy breather before that, but now I like the rsd one.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
madmax442
Tourer

Originally Posted by Elkwater
anybody drop coin on a roland sands air cleaner? I really like the look of the new contrast turbine. I was leaning toward the heavy breather before that, but now I like the rsd one.

Me personally I don't like these style aircleaners. I think they look like overdesigned wedding cakes!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Elkwater
Advanced

Gee thanks. Now all I'm going to see is a big cupcake every time I look at it. Just kidding. I like it. Sorry for thread jacking, but I have been considering the heavy breather for a while, but am recently into this one. does anyone know about their performance?

Quick Reply: Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather?