Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Take On License Plate Relocation for Nightster, after fender chop

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdavis310
The same could be said for the stock position if youre in the left lane and the officer is in the right lane. I may delete this thread considering the majority of the feedback has been negative. I did not post it because I wanted to show off my bike or what I have done I posted it in case someone who chopped their fender had no idea on how to make any type of license plate bracket. I doubt I will get pulled over considering the officer would have to be within inches of hitting my *** to not see my damn license plate.
I'm just some guy on an internet forum offering his opinion. I may or may not know what I'm talking about. You don't have to believe me or justify what you do. I thought you wanted to know what people thought about your mods. It turns out you didn't want to know what we thought. That's cool. Ride safe.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks good, do what you want it's your bike. I will be posting my fender chop in a few minutes as I just finished it up. I cut/reused the original mounting hardware for my license plate and bolted it back on. I'm deciding to go with struts or not so right now the fender is sitting high, but it may be lowered if I go with struts. Kind of afraid of the bounce/loss of control. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

I'm not trying to be rude here but there wasn't really an opinion given it was just a straight jump into possible broken laws. If you like it in this way great if not, add it to the list of things not to do to your bike. It's senseless for us to quote laws or possible laws broken or not broken to each other and for that I apologize. Please ride safe as well.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

I think it looks good, do what you want it's your bike. I will be posting my fender chop in a few minutes as I just finished it up. I cut/reused the original mounting hardware for my license plate and bolted it back on. I'm deciding to go with struts or not so right now the fender is sitting high, but it may be lowered if I go with struts. Kind of afraid of the bounce/loss of control. Thanks for sharing.
right on, I bet it looks great. I look forward to seeing it.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 PM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, there's another way to look at it. Most of the negative posts here have come from folks who sounds like they got popped for doing something similar.

The work looks good, and the pics would help a bunch if I were fabbing the same kinda thing.

But I'm in the middle of a plate relocation myself, and I guess I see it another way.

I guess if I'd done all that work and someone out here knew it would cause me grief, I'd be a little cranky if they didn't point it out.

D'you think it might be good folks trying to help a buddy out rather than a buncha jerks trying to put down your hard work?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

I agree with you drbald1. It can be either way, helpful or negative, it just depends on how anyone sees it. When I read, "You may not get a ticket, but I bet you get pulled over." I take that as negative because it somewhat sounds negative. I think a more, I'm looking out for you, way to say it might be something like, "Just make sure the cops can see it so you don't get pulled over or, cops might have a hard time seeing it in such and such situations."

I'm really glad streetfighter shared his story. It's really lame that they both lost their plate. I'm really gonna go back in and work a bracket of steel I think just to be safe.

As far as the location of my plate, I work as a paramedic here and so I am just going to take it up to PD and have them look at it. If they clear it then it should be fine. I don't mean to cause a fuss but if I take something positive I will point it out and if I take something negative, I will point it out.

For now though, lets just forget that it's even mounted on the bike at all lol. Hopefully it will help someone make their own little bracket.

Last edited by bdavis310; 09-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdavis310
what kind of light did you use bro? good job!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

i wish we could have vertical mount plates in SD. looks good by the way

Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

Hey thanks. I unscrewed the original light out of the stock hosuing and mounted it on to the new license plate frame.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM
yjmike
6th Gear

I like it on the right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Take On License Plate Relocation for Nightster, after fender chop