Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Take On License Plate Relocation for Nightster, after fender chop

Old 09-04-2010, 02:40 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Take On License Plate Relocation for Nightster, after fender chop

Today I finally got around to a solid way of mounting my license plate. This is well after I chopped my rear fender. I thought I would share it so that anyone who needs an idea can have one.

In the above pic, I started out with a small piece of aluminum that I picked up at our local Lowes. I measured 1.5 inches and bent it at that mark then, measure another 5 inches and cut it. The 1.5 is the are where it will bolt to the bike and the remaining 5 is where my license plate bracket will mount.

In this above pic, I was just sizing up where I wanted the bracket to mount. I decided on mounting it to the back side of where the strut is bolted on at the bottom.

This hole took a 1/2 inch bit on the drill press. This is where it will slide on to the strut bolt.

These two holes are where I will bolt my license plate frame.

This is the plate frame I used. This is a steel frame that was originally chrome and that I have painted black. I picked it up at our local Auto Zone.

In the above picture I have my plate frame mounted to the bracket that I made, and my license plate mounted to the frame. I painted my bracket black to match. Also, you can see that the bracket is now cut at an angle so that it can lay perfectly parallel with the strut. Also, we had to trim the two bolts holding the license plate on that side down so that the top one does not touch the strut and the bottom one does not touch the frame.

In this final picture I have everything completely mounted up and bolted on. I put my license plate on the right just for the hell of it. No problems with anything so far.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
dusandimic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! Makes me wish I had a garage and some tools.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

Don't know how your state is, but don't you need to have a light on your plate? Looks good, just hate to see someone get a dumb ticket for no light.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by pochunk69
Don't know how your state is, but don't you need to have a light on your plate? Looks good, just hate to see someone get a dumb ticket for no light.
Every state requires a white light on the plate.

I'm too lazy to look it up now (maybe I'll do it later), but I think the plate must be mounted on the left side of the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Dude! I did the same thing on my sporty last summer. Made almost the same exact mount and it was also aluminum. Aluminum is too WEAK! I took a rode trip from Houston to Austin and the thing snapped clear in half! My buddy was behind me and he almost ran over my plate and mount. My friend made them. One for me, one for his brother-in-law. His brother-in-law lost his shortly after. Looks great and it was fun and cheap, but I HIGHLY recommend taking it off, unless you are cool with losing your plate on the highway and paying for new registration.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

I'm too lazy to look it up now (maybe I'll do it later), but I think the plate must be mounted on the left side of the vehicle.
Most bikes plates are under the fender, not on the right or left. In the state of Kentucky it is only required that your plate be visible from behind. I have since put the white light on. I'll add a pic later on. We are gonna make a steel bracket later however, the aluminum we used was far from cheap. Hope this post helps just remember, no one has to do it this way lol.

Last edited by bdavis310; 09-04-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Nice but looks weird on the right side - your starting a new trend.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by bdavis310
Most bikes plates are under the fender, not on the right or left. In the state of Kentucky it is only required that your plate be visible from behind.
If you're in the right half of the right lane your plate will not be visible to the officer behind you. It may very well be visible to his partner riding shotgun. Maybe you won't get a ticket, but I bet you get pulled over.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

If you're in the right half of the right lane your plate will not be visible to the officer behind you. It may very well be visible to his partner riding shotgun. Maybe you won't get a ticket, but I bet you get pulled over.
The same could be said for the stock position if youre in the left lane and the officer is in the right lane. I may delete this thread considering the majority of the feedback has been negative. I did not post it because I wanted to show off my bike or what I have done I posted it in case someone who chopped their fender had no idea on how to make any type of license plate bracket. I doubt I will get pulled over considering the officer would have to be within inches of hitting my *** to not see my damn license plate.

Last edited by bdavis310; 09-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Take On License Plate Relocation for Nightster, after fender chop