Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe - You just gave me a headache! hahaha! Maybe I will invest in a push-button shifter like the one I saw on a drag V-Rod at the HD dealer this weekend.

Mike - I would fab something up just like you did, but I recently moved and I don't have access to an air compressor or a welder anymore. All my tools are pneumatic Switched it back this morning and went to McDonald's for breakfast. I got too worked up thinking I would damage my bike with the setup I intended to use. Think I'm gonna let it sit on the back burner for now. It's funny, if you had to deal with this HOUSTON traffic, you'd think I was crazy to ride my bike period, let alone use a side shifter -hahaha. Got a cool vintage model A license plate mount coming tomorrow and some sifton breather bolts that will occupy me for an hour or two. If you wanna build something for me, I will buy it, lol

Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is another approach in my pic below (sorry for the quality!)...

To the original poster Mike-- That is great work! You could probably get a nice little side business going making a few sets of that jockey shifter, as we seem to get guys posting the "Help! Does anyone make a jockey shifter for mid controls?" question fairly often.

Attached Thumbnails suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-0912101152.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
LouEyez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRacer

To the original poster Mike-- That is great work! You could probably get a nice little side business going making a few sets of that jockey shifter, as we seem to get guys posting the "Help! Does anyone make a jockey shifter for mid controls?" question fairly often.
I like this set up since I would probably prefer to shift between my legs instead of under my butt...I say probably because I've never ridden such a set up...but there is definitely some interest there
L

Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

I thought I would throw my setup in there for another option. Mine down shifts when pushed and upshifts when pulled.

Attached Thumbnails suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-lisas-cam-9-1-10-033a.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got to take it for the first ride. What fun its a blast to ride. The boy is grinning from ear to ear. I'm not sure what it will be like in trafic but so far so good. Now to take it all apart and powder coat it.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
freeboy
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
niteRYDR
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TRacer

This is the setup I'm gonna try and get this winter... Great job... feel free to post more pics so I can get a better idea of what/how it was done.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 AM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone with any updates? I looked up ragerbuilt choppers but got nothing. I just need the bracket and cable for fwd controls.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

I got my bracket from ragerbuilt choppers a few yrs back. I can copy it for you or swn you a close up pic to have it duplicated. It's real simple. Its just a rod with a tab to mount to the primary and a socket welded on the other end to receive the cable. I will post a close up pic later

Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 AM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodworking1
I got my bracket from ragerbuilt choppers a few yrs back. I can copy it for you or swn you a close up pic to have it duplicated. It's real simple. Its just a rod with a tab to mount to the primary and a socket welded on the other end to receive the cable. I will post a close up pic later
ok cool. at this point I would rather buy the bracket if its inexpensive and the cable also. The shifter is easy but I dont have time right now to make the cable and bracket unless you show me a picture of something I can pretty much make in an hour.

thanks

Quick Reply: suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics