Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lean angle increased with taller springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by themac5150
I've ridden for years, and just saw a pic of the Iron and wanted it. I had NO idea the damn thing was lowered, much less that HD put POS suspension on sporties.

Did HD not listen? Apparently not.
They got you and a lot of others to buy their bikes, seems like "mission accomplished" by HD marketing. Do your homework next time. Or get an older model (1991) like mine with plenty of lean angle. Caveat Emptor.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 10-07-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

You want to improve cornering clearance? Forget the maths and concentrate on a few practicalities! It isn't practical to install rear shocks that are longer than around 13.5". They will obviously lift the bike and give significantly improved clearance in corners. They will also come with more travel and, if you buy decent quality ones, should also give improved damping and ride quality.

However also important are the forks. What I found with my SuperLow when I bought it new is that the forks sagged far too much, using up at least half of the total available travel. I recommend you also sort them out, by correcting for the excessive sag, which will lift the front as well. My bike is now a Super-not-so-Low, with corrected forks and longer shocks! Cornering clearance is now as good as it is going to get, without turning to major surgery.

If you are going to change fork springs at least use proper single rate ones, matched to your weight. I have Race Tech and they have a calculator on their website, so you can chose the correct springs. Single rate springs provide uniformly smooth action over their whole travel, while progressive-rate springs are a compromise, stiffening up part way through the fork compression.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by montelatici
I shipped my 2009 1200 Low to Italy where I have a home and I leave it there. I ride it while I am there on vacation for a month in the summer. I have close friends I ride with, one has a V-Max and the other has a Triumph Thruxton. I just can't keep up because the side stand drags on the left and the lower muffler drags on the right. I tried raising it using 13 inch Road King shocks and so much weight was transferred to the front that any little bump caused the front to bottom. The next year I brought progressive springs for the forks and the bottoming was a little less, but still a pain. The next year I brought progressive rear shocks of the right (stock) length and I had no more front bottoming, but still I dragged the side stand and the mufflers trying to keep up. So, there is no solution, a Sportster is still a Harley and you can't keep up with normal bikes, especially on twisty European roads.
Originally Posted by montelatici
By the way, I was a professional road racer for many years, so it has nothing to do with my riding.
Professional road racer but dont know that if you raise the rear you need to raise the front?