Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterize my ride?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 PM
veedubnut
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterize my ride?

Hello all,
Picked up my Iron 883 this March and now that colder weather is approaching, I wanted to see if there is anything I should do since I won't be riding every week. Trickle charger? Some sort of fuel additive?

Tips/suggestions welcomed!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Why won't you be riding every week? Even though I live in Michigan, I ride all year 'round. I just keep a close eye on the weather. My version of winterizing is to keep the fuel tank full. Trickle charger (Battery Tenders are wonderful) is a great idea. If you are going to ride at all during the winter, then that's all you really need to do. If you really won't ride, then go for the full winterizing deal: fog the cylinders, fill the tank with stabilized fuel (run it into the engine to protect the fuel injectors), etc. It just isn't worth it unless you are going to let it sit for several months, IMHO. I've never done any more than keep the fuel tank full, and when my motor was opened up (vandalism) at 15,000 miles, it looked brand new, and never had any issue with starting/running during winter, even though I would sometimes not ride for six or eight weeks. Just be sure to ride for at least 20 minutes to ensure that any condensation boils off and doesn't get foamed into the oil.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sea Foam works great for a fuel additive.Have used it many times.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Why won't you be riding every week? Even though I live in Michigan, I ride all year 'round. I just keep a close eye on the weather. My version of winterizing is to keep the fuel tank full. Trickle charger (Battery Tenders are wonderful) is a great idea. If you are going to ride at all during the winter, then that's all you really need to do. If you really won't ride, then go for the full winterizing deal: fog the cylinders, fill the tank with stabilized fuel (run it into the engine to protect the fuel injectors), etc. It just isn't worth it unless you are going to let it sit for several months, IMHO. I've never done any more than keep the fuel tank full, and when my motor was opened up (vandalism) at 15,000 miles, it looked brand new, and never had any issue with starting/running during winter, even though I would sometimes not ride for six or eight weeks. Just be sure to ride for at least 20 minutes to ensure that any condensation boils off and doesn't get foamed into the oil.
Where in MI? My gf is from Grand Rapids. I was just there 2 weeks ago. HIJACK! LOL

Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, battery tender and a full tank.
Don't start it unless are going to ride it.

Cover it with something so you don't drop something on it and scratch it.

Brett

Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Where in MI? My gf is from Grand Rapids. I was just there 2 weeks ago. HIJACK! LOL
Sweet! I lived in Wyoming for years, and still get to GR quite often. I live in Saint Johns now, though. Couldn't argue with the deal: got a free house and 22 acres, but had to live where the land was to do it. I had to think about it for quite a while... must have been three, or maybe even four seconds. Give me a shout next time you're in the area, I'll swing out that way.