Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise, shortcuts, surprises etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default advise, shortcuts, surprises etc

Couldn't find my original thread about this....buried in the many sportster posts per day.
So yesterday I got my Autometer speedo relo bracket....today I will sand and paint it gloss black.
( will I drill a 5/8 size bigger hole in the outter original hole?)
Seems like I see how this is how you guys mounted yours to the front tank bolt.

Today i will recieve my 32in dimpled drag bars.

Later this week I will get my top clamp and Monday i will get my 4.5in straight risers and Avon air cushion grips.

Now I read somewhere ( didnt seem very descriptive) of a switch i need to watch out for to not break on the throttle side and there was mention about placing cardboard somewhere to help this to not happen.
However I dont know where to put the cardboard or exactly where the switch is?
But this is what I am talking about.....Can anyone help with nixing little stuff like this so it doen't bike me in the ***?

I am looking for tips, things to look out for, to do my speedo relo and replace my stock bars with drag bars.

Once I do this I will post some detailed instructions like I have done with all my mods, more importantly the thread description will be something like this.
"handlebar replacement instructions" so the next guy will hopefully be able to find all the info he needs to replace his bars in one location that actually says "Instructions" in the title.

I am excited about getting this done and will update my pics with the new stuff I have done.
Also I am going to look into making the license plate bags for us Nighty riders....one thing at a time.
I also have a brwaler seat coming in.
They should have named it the "Black Hole" instead of Nightster cause all my money is disappearing into it...lol

as always any help is appreciated.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

anyone?

p.s. I painted my autometer clamp today....did the bracket in gloss black and the ring in orange to somewhat match Jackie

Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Too_Loe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i wish i could help... my bike is an 08 nightster.. i had the throttle side cables,grip off yesterday and saw no switch unless they are talking about the throttle lock.. theres nothing else in there.... hmmmm

Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser

Found this does it help?

"squeeze the brake lever to depress the brake switch and slide a piece of cardboard in the slit to keep it depressed. This allows the brake controls to be taken off without letting the brake switch getting out of place. it is very easy to break the switch putting the controls back on if it slides out. other than that, just make sure you dont lose the little brass holders on the end of the throttle cables. the grips come off easy when you loosen the screws on the controls"

Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

Thats it, i mentioned the wrong side I suppose.

Now if I can just find out where the switch is located and the where the slit is located I should be golden....thanks for the help.

Does anyone know where these two items are loacted?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

It is the slit/gap created when you squeeze the brake lever. The area between the very front of the lever and the lever perch where the cable attaches. after you put the cardboard or small washer or something like that, release the lever and remove the screws that hold on the switch housing and the lever perch. Be careful not to knock the cardboard out after you remove the switch housing and lever perch. Be careful not to pinch any wires when installing the switch housings, it is a very common problem.

P.S. the cardboard does not have to keep the lever depressed, the lever should hold the cardboard in place. When I did mine i used a small washer, not cardboard.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go check out this thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM
EDdoc521
Advanced

Where did you get the autometer speedo relocator at? I've looked at the Joker one but its a nice chuck of change. How much did you pay for what you're using? Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

The slot referred to is the gap created at the lever/lever mount when you pull the lever. Placing some thick cardboard there would do the same thing as tying the lever back.
First, tie your brake lever back with string or a rubberband to your throttle. Take the fastners out of the switch housing. Lift the top half of the housing. The brake light switch is in the bottom half. In the brake's natural position, the swich is depressed. When you apply the brakes, the switch is let out. It's a tiny piece of plastic that actuates the switch and gets broken. Holding the lever back eliminates the lever/switch connection and takes the pressure off that little piece of plastic.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 10-07-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

FANTASTIC!~!
Now thats what i'm talking about....thanks guys!
Is there anything else that i should look out for while doing this?

I live about 50 miles from the nearest dealer so I need info like this cause if I get stuck I'm pretty much screwed.

I am so happy to find this place and very thankful that folks are kind enough to share their experiences and thoughts so that others can learn from their mistakes and experience.

I got a new throttle tube when i bought the grips as I figured i would go ahead and replace mine while I was in there to maybe avoid future problems.

Quick Reply: advise, shortcuts, surprises etc