Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dakota digital gauge installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ here, check out the instruction manual that comes with it. it's actually very simple. 1st time around you need to read the whole manual. then go back and read it a 2nd time and will find out how easy it is.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/mcl-3204.pdf

it has a gear position learning mode and will learn what gear you're in - after setting it up or programming it to learn - based on speed and rpm. it then calculates the gear ratios, thus knows which gear you're in. see below for the exact instructions.

as for the "shift indicator", what that is is a programmable "rev limiter" if you will. you can set it for any rpm from 1000 to 7000 in 500 increments. i have mine set at 4000 rpm now so when you hit that "limiter" or "shift indicator", then the tach blinks until you shift to the next gear. i'm still breaking in my bike so i have my rev limit set at 4000 and shifting always at that limit when it blinks. you can rev over that of course but the tach will stop and blink at the set limit.

-----

here's the programming section for the gear indicator from the manual. looks slightly complicated at first but is actually very simple. i did my gear run through on a residential street and no more than 35mph through 5th gear.

gEAr Gear Indicator setup
This gauge has a single digit display for gear position. The gauge can learn the gear ratios based on speed and rpm so
no sensors are needed, just what you’ve already connected. It will work with 4, 5, 6, or 7 speed transmissions. To program
the gear positions, begin at a section of road where you can gradually shift through all of the gears. Press and hold the switch
while turning the key on and starting the engine. Once the engine is running, release the switch.
· Press and release the switch until “gEAr” is displayed, press and hold the switch until “ - “ is displayed.
· The display will show “off” or “Learn”. Press and release the switch until “Learn” is displayed, then press and hold the switch.
· The message will show “LO TCH” if the engine rpm is below 1500, or “LO SPD” if the vehicle speed is below 5 MPH.
· Begin driving in 1st gear. The display should show GEAR 1 and the “1” should be flashing. Drive at a steady speed until the “1”
stops flashing, it should only take about 20 seconds if the speed and RPMs are steady.
Optional: If the gear does not stop flashing you can manually override and jump to the next gear by pressing and
releasing the switch to store the gear position quicker.
· Shift to 2nd gear and drive at a steady speed. The display will change to a flashing “2”.
· Wait until the “2” stops flashing. Shift to the next gear and a “3” should start flashing.
Optional: If the gears do not stop flashing you can manually override and jump to the next gear by pressing and
releasing the switch to store the gear position quicker.
· Repeat this through each gear. When you are done, come to a complete stop or press and hold the switch until the display
shows “SETvP” and then release it.
· Turn the key off and then on again to restart the gauges in normal operation, verify the gear position by riding through each
gear and seeing if positions agree.

Last edited by ironmofo; 10-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Chi6er
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready to order the Dakota digital unit from phat performance. I was looking on their site saw this unit for a Big Dog. It looks really nice and is a little over $100 cheaper, unit is also by Dakota digital, looks like it has all the same functions too. what is a Big Dog?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...r_p/bd-140.htm

Jerry

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Chi6er
I am getting ready to order the Dakota digital unit from phat performance. I was looking on their site saw this unit for a Big Dog. It looks really nice and is a little over $100 cheaper, unit is also by Dakota digital, looks like it has all the same functions too. what is a Big Dog?

Jerry
could be this motorcycle manufacturer:

http://www.bigdogmotorcycles.com/

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi6er

Jerry
The ad doesn't say anything about the gauge being compatible with Harley ECM/ICM systems, nor does it list the diameter of the gauge.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser

I'm hoping Santa leaves one of these under my tree this year.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Chi6er
Advanced
Smile

I am still going to get the Dakota Digital Sportster speedo/tach from Phat performance, install couldn't be any easier. them Big Dog bikes looks mean.

Jerry

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser

quick update...the dakota digital has DST "smartness". i came out to start the bike last weekend on sunday morning and clock was blinking wanting me to reset the clock. yep, pretty smart.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
seems to have a couple more functions but some require to buy some sending units...a noticeable diff in the display is the version for softails looks like a christmas ornament...lol...btw, thanks for the compliment...

How do you tell what gear it is in by looking at that gauge?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer

Originally Posted by aklim
How do you tell what gear it is in by looking at that gauge?
I believe it's shown by the number 6 (just right of the 60) that shows that it is in 6th gear 5 for 5th gear 4 for 4th and so on and so on ( you get the idea)

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 AM
bpadda
Stage I

Ironmofo, love the gauge, am about to order one also!

quick question on the HD Fuel gauge, did you install it yourself or get the dealer to do it? i purchased one myself and i am wondering if should bother getting my hands dirty or just wait for the next service and get the dealer to install?

Quick Reply: dakota digital gauge installed