Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dakota digital gauge installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dakota digital gauge installed on new 2010 iron

this aftermarket gauge is so damn cool! just released by dakota digital and costs us$399 but worth it. total plug-n-play and took 15mins to install, set, and calibrate the functions. had to replace the lame stock speedo (see side by side pic) that doesn’t give me tach/rpm. the bright blue LED matches the LED fuel gauge by design. it comes in red or blue LED, but red is hard to see in direct sunlight vs. blue. when "off" the screen is completely black and stealth. one of the best features are the 0-60 acceleration timer and ¼ mile timer ;-) have to go riding and run through all the gears to calibrate the “gear indicator” function. i have the rpm limiter/shift point set at 6000rpm out of 7000rpm max.

ignition on: YouTube - Dakota Digital gauge on 2010 Sportster Iron - turn on

engine on and rev: YouTube - MVI_1680.AVIDakota Digital gauge on 2010 Sportster Iron - engine start and rev

functions – all programmable:

- odometer (programmable once)
- trip meter A and B
- resettable miles to next service (500-7500 miles)
- dual metric-english conversion
- voltage/low voltage indicator
- hi/top speed recall
- hi/top rpm recall
- 0-60 mph acceleration timer
- ¼ mile acceleration timer
- 12 hr clock (can be calibrated by +/- 8 seconds per day)
- resettable hour timer
- rpm reading in numbers or digital sectional gauge
- engine temp/hi temp reading
- auto/on/off night dimming
- software version code indicator

Last edited by ironmofo; 10-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That thing is cool as hell! Somebody has TOO MUCH MONEY!!! LOL

Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
BilD426
Stage II

that freaking sweet but $400.. damn

Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

like it, fits perfect in your ride, also like that bike dolly you've got...the version for the softy is $499...those things give plenty useful info the stock one doesn't...the hd speedo/tach combo costs the same yet ain't got so many functions

Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser

LOL...no, not too much money when you consider this ridiculous pricing for the hd tach kit at $290 and all you get is a tach needle.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

this way i can justify the difference of extra $110, get more cool features, and TRULY plug-n-play ;-) why does the softy version costs $100 more? more features?

as for the dolly, it's the pit viper from discountramps.com for only $99.95 + $35 ups ground shipping. best mod so far ;-)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser

i just went out for a ride anyway ;-) it's 52deg here and a little drizzle with 35mph wind gusts...screw it, didn't care. i wanted to calibrate the gear position indicator. procedure is simple.

- start engine, get into config mode of the gauge.
- start out in 1st gear, keep constant speed and rpm for up to 20 secs until gear indicator blinks "gear 1", shift to 2nd, etc. through 5th gear.
- come to complete stop and wait for gauge to show "setup" or "done", turn off engine, turn back on, ride again, and verify gear indicator with each shift.

done deal...ran through 5th gear at about 62mph. the wind was blowing my upper body a bit, but my bike is nearly 600lbs so was actually very stable. i was getting warm with all my protective gear and liner on. engine heat helps to keep you warm too ;-)

stock dunlop tires are pretty good in the wet. gauge mini-project now complete ;-)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I was just considering ordering one of these gauges the other day, then about 4 hours later my 3rd stator took a chit. Oh well, there went the gauge money.

FYI, you can find this gauge on-line for less $$$ if you look around. Phat Performance has them with the chrome bezel for $339.95 and with a black bezel for 359.95.

Last edited by cHarley; 10-03-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
I was just considering ordering one of these gauges the other day, then about 4 hours later my 3rd stator took a chit. Oh well, there went the gauge money.

FYI, you can find this gauge on-line for less $$$ if you look around. Phat Performance has them with the chrome bezel for $339.95 and with a black bezel for 359.95.
true for less and i checked but none of them had the 1st batch...longer wait. i pre-ordered direct from dakota digital who shipped them out as announced.

just don't like waiting ;-)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
like it, fits perfect in your ride, also like that bike dolly you've got...the version for the softy is $499...those things give plenty useful info the stock one doesn't...the hd speedo/tach combo costs the same yet ain't got so many functions
ps - your bike pictured is one of the coolest i've seen...kudos!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ironmofo
i just went out for a ride anyway ;-) it's 52deg here and a little drizzle with 35mph wind gusts...screw it, didn't care. i wanted to calibrate the gear position indicator. procedure is simple.

- start engine, get into config mode of the gauge.
- start out in 1st gear, keep constant speed and rpm for up to 20 secs until gear indicator blinks "gear 1", shift to 2nd, etc. through 5th gear.
- come to complete stop and wait for gauge to show "setup" or "done", turn off engine, turn back on, ride again, and verify gear indicator with each shift.

done deal...ran through 5th gear at about 62mph. the wind was blowing my upper body a bit, but my bike is nearly 600lbs so was actually very stable. i was getting warm with all my protective gear and liner on. engine heat helps to keep you warm too ;-)

stock dunlop tires are pretty good in the wet. gauge mini-project now complete ;-)

From the looks of that picture, you can ride your bike ANYWHERE and double as an elite bomb squad member. HAHAHAHA!

Quick Reply: dakota digital gauge installed