Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did rubber mounted motors some out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When did rubber mounted motors some out?

An 06 wide glide has a 88A rubber mounted engine. Only softails use the 88B counter balanced. All dyna's and touring bikes use the rubber mounted twin cam.
ORIGINAL: aceospades

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Just for info, I was sitting next to a stock Rubber mounted Heritage Deluxe the other day at a stop light as we discussed the handlebar vibration. His were shaking MUCH worse than mine. Funny thing is, mine is a rigid mounted 91 Sportster. He explained that he needed to get some other add ons to really separate the engine and exhaust from the frame. I forgot just what add ons. We were riding in a pack of big Harley cruisers, so I began looking at the bars on them all. Most were vibrating worse than mine. They are bigger engines, of course.

My message is that you should not expect much less vibration from a stock rubber mounted Sportster engine. (I have seen those, and wonder why they hard mounted the exhaust?) It takes special exhaust connectors and other add on to really get the vibs out. Also, the rubber mounts tend to wear out and bust.

You might get the idea I don't really like the rubber mounts. Well, to me the vibration is part of what a Harley is all about. It does kinda suck that all of the screws will vibrate out unless you cement them
my cousin has an 06 wide glide and his bars shake more than mine, and the reason is the risers are mounted on with rubber bushings(so of course they will give the appearance of more vibration)and his has the tc88b engine which is counter balanced,but let me tell you something ive ridden his and it is smooth,also ive ridden pre-rubber mounted sportsters and the difference is night and day in vibration. i dont know if you have ever ridden a rubber mounted sporty but if you havent maybe you should and you will know what the big deal is..

Old 09-19-2006, 01:16 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well either way his bike does have rubber bushings on the risers(that make the bars shake) and the ride is a huge difference in comparison to a rigid mounted engine..

Old 09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

I have ridden several metric cruisers with multiple cylinders that are very smooth, gave me no trouble and could stand up if I wanted them to. Yet, if that's what I really valued, I would still be riding them. My riigid mounted Sportster has several windows of smooth riding through 75 mph. The rest is pretty good for backing the screws out and jiggling the fat off of me.

No one has answered me on the num nut idea of shock mounting the engine and then rigid mounting the pipes. The freely moving (except for the pipe restriction) engine will then tranfer vibratory motion into the frame.

Also, it is soooooo spooky to me to see those big engines jumping around in the frame. It just ain't right!

As for the Dyna's, that's so cooool. Except after 20,000 miles or so they could need repair. Think of all the moving counterbalance parts. I say this because Robin (the girl riding 20K miles on a Dyna Wide Glide for the Habitat for Humanity publicity) told me her bike came down with serious oil leaks and counterballance problems. Luckily, Harley fixed it after two trys, for free - as a contribution to her cause.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
ionate
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

takes special exhaust connectors and other add on to really get the vibs out. Also, the rubber mounts tend to wear out and bust.
This would suck! I have wondered how long the rubber mounts will last. Maybe they will surprise us all. At least, just so they last long enough for me until I upgrade to my dyna or softtail.

Comparing Apples to Apples (Sporty with a Sporty), I have seen other earlier sportsters and they do shake more than the rubber mounted engines.

Don't get me wrong - my Sporty still shakes to give you that "harley shaking feeling" (if that's what you call it), but the rubber mounts still seem to take some of the shake out.

Personaly, I like the rumble and sound of the harley... not the shake!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:30 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

I personally like the vibration and a whole lot of shakin going on.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

I personally like the vibration and a whole lot of shakin going on.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 PM
1200babe
Tourer

I ride a 2000 1200C and it does not vibrate at all- in fact my friends 2004 dyna shakes me more than my sporty.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:23 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

they might appear to shake more becase the engine is floating inside the frame and all you see is the engine bobbing back and forth,and the bars will shake a bit too but at higher speeds is where it counts its definitely dampins the vibration down some..to me it really doesnt matter all that much about the vibrating because im am just happy to be riding a harley..

Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

When I was shopping for my bike in July I was going to buy a brand new 883. I was looking at some used bikes too in hopes of saving a few dollars by getting a bike that already had the options I wanted. The first dealer I went to told me to only buy an 04 or newer if I got used because of the rubber mounted engine, and that a rigid mount would shake so bad you would not be able to see out the mirrors.

The next dealer I went to had an 01 1200 with all of the options I wanted. I asked to test drive it, because I wanted to see how bad the vibration was. I test drove it, loved it, and bought it. I didn't think the vibration was anything to make a stink about at all, the ride was nice, especially while moving. Sure you can't set your beer on the seat while hte bike is idling, but big deal.

Nothing wrong with rubber mounting, I guess, if you find a bike that you like...buy it. Don't let a rigid mounted engine scare you away from a bike that you like. They made Harleys for 96 years without rubber mounted engines, they are still great bikes.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Tornado Jim Belino
Stage III
Default Rubber Isolation Mount Year first came out

1980-08 Touring Models & 1982-99 FXR

Quick Reply: When did rubber mounted motors some out?