Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Rider
Default When did rubber mounted motors some out?

My wife just started riding this year on an old Yamaha XS400 & she's already thinking of bumping up to a H/D. Because of the old "money factor" we're thinking of a used Sportster, but want to get a new enough one to have a rubber mounted motor. I tried a search, but couldn't find the answer. What year was the first year that Sportsters had rubber mounted motors?
77' XS650 (restoration project, for sale)
75' XS650
05' FXDL Chopper Blue (wife's ride)
Old 09-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Road Captain
Default RE: When did rubber mounted motors some out?

2004 was the first year for rubber mounts
Old 09-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Rider

Thanks for the reply.
77' XS650 (restoration project, for sale)
75' XS650
05' FXDL Chopper Blue (wife's ride)
Old 09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Road Captain

No problem. Good luck finding a bike. I'm sure your wife will enjoy the sporty.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Road Captain

My first pre requisite for my bike was that it had to be a harley (that determined budget/bike for me right there!)

Since I was looking at the Sportster line, the very next important item was that it HAD to be an '04 or newer because of the rubber mounted engines. I've seen and ridden on both and I can tell a difference. When the '04 engine sits at idle and runs in the chassis, you can definitely see that it was a MUCH needed improvement.

Yeah, nothing under an '04 for sure!!
V&H Straightshot HS
Visit: http://www.bikepics.com/members/ionate/
Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Road Master

Just for info, I was sitting next to a stock Rubber mounted Heritage Deluxe the other day at a stop light as we discussed the handlebar vibration. His were shaking MUCH worse than mine. Funny thing is, mine is a rigid mounted 91 Sportster. He explained that he needed to get some other add ons to really separate the engine and exhaust from the frame. I forgot just what add ons. We were riding in a pack of big Harley cruisers, so I began looking at the bars on them all. Most were vibrating worse than mine. They are bigger engines, of course.

My message is that you should not expect much less vibration from a stock rubber mounted Sportster engine. (I have seen those, and wonder why they hard mounted the exhaust?) It takes special exhaust connectors and other add on to really get the vibs out. Also, the rubber mounts tend to wear out and bust.

You might get the idea I don't really like the rubber mounts. Well, to me the vibration is part of what a Harley is all about. It does kinda suck that all of the screws will vibrate out unless you cement them
Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
I was sitting next to a stock Rubber mounted Heritage Deluxe the other day at a stop light as we discussed the handlebar vibration. His were shaking MUCH worse than mine.
Must have been the rubber mount, could be it was bad?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Road Captain

All softtails have had counter- balanced engines since 2000. None have been rubber mounted. If a Deluxe is vibrating like that, there are some serious problems going on with it.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

All softtails have had counter- balanced engines since 2000. None have been rubber mounted. If a Deluxe is vibrating like that, there are some serious problems going on with it.

Yep...Was just having a little fun there.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Just for info, I was sitting next to a stock Rubber mounted Heritage Deluxe the other day at a stop light as we discussed the handlebar vibration. His were shaking MUCH worse than mine. Funny thing is, mine is a rigid mounted 91 Sportster. He explained that he needed to get some other add ons to really separate the engine and exhaust from the frame. I forgot just what add ons. We were riding in a pack of big Harley cruisers, so I began looking at the bars on them all. Most were vibrating worse than mine. They are bigger engines, of course.

My message is that you should not expect much less vibration from a stock rubber mounted Sportster engine. (I have seen those, and wonder why they hard mounted the exhaust?) It takes special exhaust connectors and other add on to really get the vibs out. Also, the rubber mounts tend to wear out and bust.

You might get the idea I don't really like the rubber mounts. Well, to me the vibration is part of what a Harley is all about. It does kinda suck that all of the screws will vibrate out unless you cement them
my cousin has an 06 wide glide and his bars shake more than mine, and the reason is the risers are mounted on with rubber bushings(so of course they will give the appearance of more vibration)and his has the tc88b engine which is counter balanced,but let me tell you something ive ridden his and it is smooth,also ive ridden pre-rubber mounted sportsters and the difference is night and day in vibration. i dont know if you have ever ridden a rubber mounted sporty but if you havent maybe you should and you will know what the big deal is..

former rides
2005 xl1200c
2013 xl883n
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 PM

P