Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker cover oil leak - Help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
superidis
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker cover oil leak - Help needed!!!

Hello to all you guys,

I am planning to go my 2010 Iron for the second service at the stealer (4k under warranty) and I have like many of you have mentioned so far an oil leak from both rocker covers. Because the guy at the service dpt. mentioned from the phone that it just might need to tighten up the covers I would like to ask you the following:
(a) Should I insist on replacing the gaskets in case they say that it is not necessary?
(b) The oil marks that can be seen on the motor fins just below the rocker covers are they obliged to clean them up?
I'm asking so that I will be informed and aware in case they try to fool me.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
T

Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

From experience with my 2002, the rocker cover gaskets should get replaced. The ones shipped from the factory suck and tend to go out easy, especially with age (not a problem on your 2010). They should know this. It's common.

As far as the oil marks go, I'm not sure what the cylinder is made of on the new ones, but the aluminum ones I have soak up the oil stains and make them virtually impossible to remove. They are not required to remove them, although you could ask that they try. If I recall, the Iron is a mostly blacked out motor anyways? So you shouldn't have a hard time hiding them.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
RidinWrenchin
Stage II
Default Rocker Cover Leaks

The rocker covers might be warped if they are leaking oil so you should insist that they replace the gaskets when they pull the covers to see if they are warped. The rocker cover screw threads are coated with lock-tight when they assemble them at the factory. So they shouldn't get loose under warrantee. Make sure that they replace the gaskets and don't try to pull a fast one by using any kind of gasket sealer. Unfortunately the techs at the stealers try to get any free parts that they can. Including anything left over when they work on your bike.

Use S100 on the oil stains after they get the new parts installed...... here is a link.....

http://www.hawg-wash.com/s1totcycclea1.html

This stuff works great and I swear by it. Make sure the bike is COLD when you use it, follow the instructions. A class shop will use something like this to clean up the bike as a part of the warantee work. Make sure they don't have jr using a rag or a scotch brite pad scratching up your rockers.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
superidis
6th Gear

Thanks a lot guys for your comments, do you believe that normally after the gasket replacement the leakage will stop?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RidinWrenchin
The rocker cover screw threads are coated with lock-tight when they assemble them at the factory.
Yeah right......Hell, they don't even lube the axles during assembly, and you think they're going to use loctite.

Superidis....Yes, have them replace the rocker gaskets as it'll be covered under warranty, and it shouldn't leak if they do it right.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 11-24-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
bikerguy76
Advanced

I have a 2010 iron with 4800 miles on it. My rear rocker box was leaking to. Since it's still under warrenty I took it in to Harley and they put new gaskets on it and they only had it for 1 day. I was going to do it myself but why should I when it's under warrenty. I just think that sometimes the manufaturer is in such a hurry to put out a product some stuff is done half assed and there isn't much quality control!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM
superidis
6th Gear

Hi Guys,

One more question, does the service manual on the troubleshooting for this issue mentions that when you have oil leak from the rockers the gaskets should be replaced?
I am asking because I don't have the manual and I would like to know if there is an official instruction from H-D on what steps to follow in case the stealer wants to post pone or avoid the hard work.
I heard from a friend who had the same problem and went the bike to another stealer that they told him that it's no big deal and it happens once in a while and it should stop by itself. IMAGINE THAT....
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

An oil leak from the rocker boxes could only be one of two things: leaky/bad gasket, or the alloy box is actually warped and can't seal properly. Chances are 99% of the time it's gonna be a bad gasket. And you can tell if it's a warped box by replacing the gaskets and then noticing it didn't fix anything. Trouble shooting solved!

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 11-29-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: terminology
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
br401k
Cruiser

same thing happened with my iron. insist on a full replacement because it will be a pricey fix after the warranty is up

Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Yeah right......Hell, they don't even lube the axles during assembly, and you think they're going to use loctite.

Superidis....Yes, have them replace the rocker gaskets as it'll be covered under warranty, and it shouldn't leak if they do it right.
I removed my covers and they DID have loctite on them from the factory.

Quick Reply: Rocker cover oil leak - Help needed!!!