Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cared enough to write that rude response.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor

ok , I do own a sportie, had three, last one was bought new in 91 ,still got it ,,IM getting better , Down to five bikes
btw ..what are you doing in the "baby bike section "
I own one ..do you

also have a 03 fatboyFi ..103 ci , SI head's thundermax header..(Dont run as good as my old 750 Kawasaki H3 tripple) 1971 model

No where I said I was a real biker..only thing I ever done was raced flat track , motocross,Enduro's,hare scrambles and occasional street rides.

I did take a time out from bikes when I was on a USN aircraft carrier, and flew Mission's over "Nam"
Now what was your question about men ?
Hey, I was just trading a tit for a tat.

Flying over Nam, cuz you was drafted and forced to, don't make you a man.
I did the Marine Corps blah, blah, blah,....... so what?
You still ride a girls bike and start threads about nobody in this whole forum thinks smart like yourself. You call that a man?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
Oh god. Another old man discovering the new age B.S.

Just ride.....

Why do you care about what others prefer? Some do bolt-ons, some do more advanced things.

I read these kind of posts all the time where one type of biker compares the elasticity of his nut sack to anothers.

Who cares - just go ride.

thank you , you Sir are correct..

My only excuse is My 47 yearold son bought me a fifth of Crown royal , and turned on this dam "puter"...then left and laughed ..
hope you guys got a laugh too !!..dag-gum old guys ....
p.s elasticity is no longer a issue ..just proud to still have em

Old 12-04-2010, 07:49 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with ya Baylor, I do like to see a good lookin bike but I would rather see a rat bike built from scratch! I read threads not just from here but all of the forums and just have to shake my head sometimes. I wonder if there are any real bikers left out here.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I have noticed in the 20+ years of riding (mostly imports) is that Harleys are mainly about image over performance or function. And therefore Harley riders seem to be more concerned about the looks of the the bikes rather than functionality or performance. (Hence we see guys looking to remove mirrors, turn signals and even front brakes for the sake of "looks") Originally "choppers" and "bobbers" were built by guys taking as much "stuff" off big bikes in order to make them go faster and handle better. But then it became more about looks, and we got lowered suspension and monster forks, tall sissy bars and skinny front tires. Where Harley built and developed their bikes based on image, looks and "tradition", the Japanese and Italians built and developed their bikes on the race track. They ended up building street bikes that were fast, handled and braked like race bikes. And the Japanese did it at prices that the average Joe could afford.

There are performance oriented people on this forum, but the amount of performance and handling that can get coaxed out of a Harley costs a lot for not as much return as one would think. This has been one of my issues, if you want performance and handling, why are you buying a Harley? And the guys that insist that Harleys are the be-all-end-all refuse to acknowledge that. And then they seem to think that those of us that say that you can buy a better performing, more reliable, less expensive import must hate Harleys. If I hated them, I wouldn't have one. But I don't own a Harley for it's performance or reliability, I have it for it's character, it's "image." I am willing to understand what a Harley is and it's limitations. For handling and performance I have other bikes. It's called having the right tool for the job.

I just wonder what the Sportster could be if Harley had developed it the same way that the Japanese did with it's counterparts (Honda CB series, Suzuki GS series, and Yamaha KZ series). The Sportster was Harley's small displacement "sporting" motorcycle, but now it's just Harley's small displacement motorcycle with no real "sport" left in it. (Yes even the XL1200X is hampered with it's "throwback" frame.) Imagine a Harley with a high-revving engine, aluminum frame, inverted fork, and single rear shock, a real Harley sportbike. And yes, the air-cooled v-twin is a capable engine for a sportbike, just look at Ducati.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 12-04-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

So Ed, what do you ride? More and more "girls" are riding Big Twins these days. Primarily because with their lower seat heights and lower center of gravity it's easier for girls to move them around with their itty-bitty legs. Oh, maybe that's why you have one...sorry.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM
rat_trap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Faast Ed, fine job getting back at the OP by slamming a huge HD market. On behalf of all Sporty owners, KMFA.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
You cared enough to write that rude response.

Since you posted right after me I'm gonna assume your comment was directed at me.

Trust me.... That wasn't me being rude.

That was me saying to go ride.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accepted.