Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat radical new front end idea...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat radical new front end idea...

Hey guys, sorry i haven't posted in a while, but I haven't done much with the Sporty as of recent save ride her. I bought a Honda CBR6, and all of my money has been dumped into that. Now that i have that bike how i want it, and we're coming up on winter time.... Time to show the harley some love.

I'm thinking of going Roland-sand style on the Nightster. I've got a set of CBR front end laying around, but I don't even know where ot start as far as putting this thing together.

The forks are damn-near the same length at the stock rake, but the only thing I can come up with as far as putting them on is an XR1200 triple tree. The XR has 43mm forks, the CBR forks are 41mm. I guess that's as easy as machining a sleeve to drop in, but how different is the rake angle? And if it won't work... what would you guys suggest? Machining a new triple tree? Also, where do i find an xr1200 triple tree other than the harley shop (ie- a used one, preferably)

Obviously i'm still very much in the planning stages... but what are your thoughts? My goals are to make the thing stop better, and maybe give it a little more comfortable ride. (I know with my 11" progressives in the rear... there's only so much you can do, but those are the goals i'm setting out with in mind)

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't WideGlides and others have 41mm fork tubes?? Why couldn't you use those trees??

Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to keep the 11" Progressives in the rear then I would put a Progressive Springs, Race Tech kit, or Ricor Intiminators in the front and call it a day. Any of these would be cheaper than trying to make the CBR front end work.

If you are upgrading the rear suspension to match the CBR forks then I would contact Howard at Motorcycle Metal for professional advice and some Ohlins for the rear.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 AM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

Just found the motorcycle metal website... I think he's the guy i want to talk to. Seems like his triple tree is the way to go assuming the CBR stuff is managable. If not, he builds a kit for it.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would look pretty cool. I'd say get the CBR trees & neck cups for your bike to adapt it.

BUT...that CBR is 100 lbs or so lighter than a Sportster. You will most likely need to respring the forks.

There are plenty of Sportsters with CBR type front ends out there. I'd say a web search would land some decent info if not some contacts.

There's a guy in my town here that just put a Suzuki SV600 front end on his SPortster. Looks slick.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

I talked ot howard this morning for about an hour. He felt like the better option would be to do the VR conversion, and he's probably right. I already have most of what i need though, so I'm gonna keep digging and find out what this is going to cost. Either way, thanks for the help.

MReed, I'm thinking about that, too, as i have a cbr triple tree. I need to get my front end off and see if it will work. Time will tell.

Thanks guys, any other suggestions are welcome.