Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receiver hitch dolly??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM
ogh11756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Receiver hitch dolly??

Thinking of buying one of those bike dolly's that fit the receiver hitch on the suv for short trips to the bike shop, under 10 miles. Basically strap the bikes front wheel in, strap it down, put the bike in N, & go. Anybody ever used one? and are they ok for short trips?
Do not want to risk tranny damage!
I would never consider it for long hauling. I have a 2008 XL1200C Sportster.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Furno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a 4x8 folding trailer brand New for 500 bucks, i bought one on craigslist for $150 in mint condition, its great, and folds into a small size so i can stick it in the corner of the garage.

http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp?type=folding

small trailers are so cheap you may as well just buy one thats road worthy with a small ramp and the channeling for the tires to hold the bike upright. Once you get done with the $150 for one of those tow dollies and the $35 to get it shipped to you, you may s well have just bought a used trailer that you can get much more actual use out of.

Besides, what if your bike has a flat rear tire? what then

Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way I'd use one of those things. If my bike was in the shop often enough that I had to buy a means of hauling it there, I'd spend the money on a different bike.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Furno
Advanced

alternately you can prolly get an old trailer from a jon boat or jet ski for free and put 50 bucks of lumber on it and have a decent rig too.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Furno
Advanced

Yeah, im looking up some of those tow dollys right now, the only one i'd even consider is the ramp style that the bike sits sideways against the back of an RV, basically the trailer hitch supports the whole bike. im sure my ram 2500 would do fine with it too. not sure how it'd be getting a sporty on it though.

A quick Craigslist search in Pittsburgh, PA yields 5+ trailers in the 100 to 300 dollar range, i'd recommend that route. then u can always resell it for the same money or more!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
ogh11756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have a 5x8 with ramp. Just looking for something i can use to drop the bike off at the local shop with instead of hooking up the trailer. I have no place to park the trailer at work.
The hitch dolly can be unhooked & thrown in the back. I don't want to risk screwing up the drive train in the process. I guess i will put wood decking & a wheel chock on the trailer and ask if it can be left at the shop. It doesn't sound like anyone is recommending the dolly plan.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Furno
Advanced

Originally Posted by ogh11756
I already have a 5x8 with ramp. Just looking for something i can use to drop the bike off at the local shop with instead of hooking up the trailer. I have no place to park the trailer at work.
The hitch dolly can be unhooked & thrown in the back. I don't want to risk screwing up the drive train in the process. I guess i will put wood decking & a wheel chock on the trailer and ask if it can be left at the shop. It doesn't sound like anyone is recommending the dolly plan.

This is the only tow hitch style i would recommend, kinda rough getting a heavier bike on it though

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_carrier.htm

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Furno
alternately you can prolly get an old trailer from a jon boat or jet ski for free and put 50 bucks of lumber on it and have a decent rig too.
Been there, done that. A little front tire wedge, a piece of diamond plate for the floorboard, and a small ramp and it makes a nice pull behind for the scoot.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Been there, done that. A little front tire wedge, a piece of diamond plate for the floorboard, and a small ramp and it makes a nice pull behind for the scoot.
The OP said he already has a trailer, but no place to park it at work.

The heaviest duty hitch rack listed is only rated for 600lbs and a typical stock Sporty is awful close to that, too close for comfort in my book.

For the purpose listed by the OP, I suggest you take a look at THIS.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
The OP said he already has a trailer, but no place to park it at work.

The heaviest duty hitch rack listed is only rated for 600lbs and a typical stock Sporty is awful close to that, too close for comfort in my book.

For the purpose listed by the OP, I suggest you take a look at THIS.

Oh I know, just saying I have done that myself. As far as the rating of the trailer, my jet ski weighs in more than that. I think the biggest issue would be the crank arm, which has to operate at a 90 degree angle. A PWC trailer can easily handle more than 600#, but like you said, not in the cards for the OP.

Quick Reply: Receiver hitch dolly??