Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the forty eight tank swaps???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I took a 120 mile ride saturday,,no gas stop needed,,
Took a 280 mile round tripper once, Filled once at the destination.
I'd hate to be riding with a group and have ta make a stop at 75-80 miles.
But That Tank IMO does make the 48.
I wish I had a 5.5 gal tank actually.
We always want more XD

Old 01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See, I repsectfully disagree with the tank making the whole bike... as if some sold school biker with a mullet (thank you Freeboy!) took one look at the Nightster and said "Man, love the bike, but the tank to seat... needs more gap, bro! Needs more gap."

Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Sportster Spence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree that the tank in itself doesn't make the whole bike, but it is one of the key constituent parts that help to create the overall look.

Thats the thing I've always loved about Harleys is that no 2 are the same, yours is yours, mine is mine, and we all create our own look limited only by our own imaginations!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

Way I look at it the 48 was made to just cruise around the city and the occasional "trip." The 3 gallon tank doesn't look bad on the 48 but I sure wouldn't do it. If I wanted a bigger tank and was worried about making stops to fill up I would have gotten a bagger. Besides It's not like you are stopping after like 40 miles to fill your tank, guess people are just afraid they are gonna run outta gas or make that 300 mile trip with your bagger buddies without stopping lol. And I agree the "peanut" tank is one of the main things that makes the 48 what it is and I'd never switch it. But that is just me, people can do whatever they want to make their bike theirs.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Barry Powers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blaven48
Way I look at it the 48 was made to just cruise around the city and the occasional "trip." The 3 gallon tank doesn't look bad on the 48 but I sure wouldn't do it. If I wanted a bigger tank and was worried about making stops to fill up I would have gotten a bagger. Besides It's not like you are stopping after like 40 miles to fill your tank, guess people are just afraid they are gonna run outta gas or make that 300 mile trip with your bagger buddies without stopping lol. And I agree the "peanut" tank is one of the main things that makes the 48 what it is and I'd never switch it. But that is just me, people can do whatever they want to make their bike theirs.
I agree with you I never wanted to change the tank because it's looks bada**, but I changed my mind when I was riding to the shore for a bike weekend this past fall, my light came on 20 miles from my destination, me being the optimist I am I drove past a gas station thinking 20 miles no need to flag down my buddy just yet, we were cruising pretty good no traffic, until 2 miles away we got into heavy traffic. No where to move, we usually ride the sides, if its wide enough permitting just so we don't overheat out bikes but not with the 5-0 ahead. Ended up sitting there til she ran out of gas. Had to walk her the next mile and change. Now I have a 3.3 tank that I swap out on longer rides. It's an easy swap about 5 minutes tops.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am happy people want to give up the 48 tanks because it gives others a chance to get an awesome looking tank without paying the high dollar price for a 48. I bought mine from craigslist from some guy who put a Nightster tank for more mileage between fillups. The 48 graphics look great, I don't get where people don't like them. The Nightster/Iron tank insn't the same tank, period. The 48 tank has a flat top where the cap is and a flat bottom design. Also, the 48 tank sits lower on the frame and hides the wiring loom better. The Nightster tank on a 48 looks like an unvented tank on a 100 degree day in the sun, it looks swollen up like it is ready to pop.

Also, the 48 is a Sportster model no matter how much you don't want it to be, that's why it is plastered on the tank.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand it is a Sportster, just like a Lexus is still a Toyota and an Acura is still a Honda, but do they have to advertise it as such?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
grancuda
Road Master

A Lexus isn't a Toyota, Toyota is the parent company to Lexus and the same with Honda/Acura. The 48 is a Sportster with different forks/tire/tank/seat/paint. Just like a Camry base model and loaded out model both say Camry.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
I understand it is a Sportster, just like a Lexus is still a Toyota and an Acura is still a Honda, but do they have to advertise it as such?
That's not the same. The Sportster is a Model line, not a "Make" like Lexus, Toyota, Acura and Honda. The better comparison would be the Mustang. You have the regular V6 Mustang, the Mustang GT, the Saleen Mustang, the Roush Mustang, and the Mustang GT500. They are all Mustangs.

Toyota and Honda would be compared to Harley. Where as the Civic and Camry would be comparable to the Sportster.

So what you have is the Sportster Iron, Sportster Nightster, Sportster 48, Sportster SuperLow, etc. All of which are Harleys, and all of which are Sportsters.

Besides, why does it bother you so much that they acknowledge that it's a Sportster?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
grancuda
Road Master

Here is where that hideous graphic came from, the terrible years from long ago that we don't want our bikes to be associated with.

Quick Reply: Why all the forty eight tank swaps???