Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 AM
SwoleCole883
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thoner7
Because you have done it - how did you connect the copper to the hollow bolts? It looks like you were able to screw simply the soft copper onto the bolts.

Do you think a simple 90 degree elbow, pointing up, and two of the smaller filters would work - both vents dont have to be tied to the same vent do they? I have never seen it done with two seperate filters

Could you simply clamp the filters to the threads, and have them stick stright out? The diameters dont look like they would work.

Thanks.
They will work, I did it and it's sick as **** bro. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 AM
vikz250
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Questions about this,so I have to take off that black plate and then attached the mount right?? I ordered the breather kit,does it come with all the screws to mount it??my carb mount only came with 2 screws and the filter set just came with the wing nut screw for the cover..Is that black plate hard to take off ??

Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
DoubleTake
Cruiser

Got the bracket and air filter for my 2005 Sportster. Do I also need carb mount bolts and breather bolts? I thought everything would come in the air bracket kit (ebay). I have sent the bracket back because none of the bolts worked, now I think all I needed out of the kit was the bracket. Can someone clear this up for me?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM
vikz250
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DoubleTake
Got the bracket and air filter for my 2005 Sportster. Do I also need carb mount bolts and breather bolts? I thought everything would come in the air bracket kit (ebay). I have sent the bracket back because none of the bolts worked, now I think all I needed out of the kit was the bracket. Can someone clear this up for me?
Drag specialties has the complete kits for changing your air unit..I followed MREED's air filter but O had to modify the bracket holding the air filter because they are very flimsy..

Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
DoubleTake
Cruiser

Is anyone having to rejet your carb bike? I did the air filter and have V&H Short Shots. The vacuum line keeps popping off the petcock and killing the bike. 2005 Sportster Custom 1200.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 PM
vikz250
Cruiser

I can only speak for my self but when I replaced mine I did not do any rejetting of my carb because I have a SE air filter and SE slip on Andy mechanic said it's should be fine and it is, no issues so far..

Old 06-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Kyle Giffen
4th Gear

This looks great! Anyone who's tried this; do you know if you get any performance issues? By allowing more air into the engine, are you hurting the engine in any way? Does it diminish the engines life? Why doesn't stock maximize performance with in safety range of the engine? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Giffen
Anyone who's tried this; do you know if you get any performance issues?
You can, but depends on your fuel system. It shouldn't effect EFI. But, depending on the jetting, you could have some issues with a carburetor.
By allowing more air into the engine, are you hurting the engine in any way?
No. That is the basis for more power on any gasoline type motor. More air in + more air out = better performance.[/QUOTE]
Does it diminish the engines life?
No, not as long as you take care of regular maintenance (i.e. cleaning the filter).
Why doesn't stock maximize performance with in safety range of the engine?
You government and the EPA requirements for new vehicles.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
begNOpardon
Stage I

Thanks everyone for contributing to such a great DIY project. I did it on mine so quickly and easily. It turned out awesome, threw some black paint on to match my all black '07 Nightster.

Quick question... or maybe poll. Of the several different types of ways to handle the breather system, what did most of you end up doing? Integrated breather/carb holder, breather bolts breathing to the atmosphere, running breather lines to rear/ground, or running tubes to a second filter/oil trap? Curious.

Currently I left the stock breather bolts exposed trying to figure out what I want, leaning mostly towards breather bolts.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by begNOpardon
Of the several different types of ways to handle the breather system, what did most of you end up doing? Integrated breather/carb holder, breather bolts breathing to the atmosphere, running breather lines to rear/ground, or running tubes to a second filter/oil trap? Curious.

Currently I left the stock breather bolts exposed trying to figure out what I want, leaning mostly towards breather bolts.
Need to clarify, what I did is neither cheap nor easy...

Personally, I didn't want the breather bolts since I couldn't control where
the gases went, so I did a contained system venting to a catch-can, then
to atmosphere. I have an Arlen Ness derby sucker intake modified to
vent gas as shown in the following pictures.

hope this helps,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 08-18-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)