Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Hang Around
Default 2005 sportster wiring diagram anyone ?

hooking up heated grips ..new oem harley diagram is for older sportys ..
there are two unused electrical plugs on my 2005 harley what are they ..accesory or diagnostics ?
i can hook the neg to the frame and teh positve to teh battery .. buttheer is a second positive going through a relay that should go to a hot wire that is only hot with ignition key turned on .. really just need to find a good point to splice into such a wire without hacking up and poking holes into my loom looking for it with my electriical light tester .. any help appreciated
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Road Warrior

Looking at the factory wiring diagram, the accessory wire is orange with a white tracer. It runs from the accessory fuse to various points of the bike.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Hang Around

thanks I will look for it ... post within teh wek if it works for me ..
kids hockey games is taking precedence since snow is on teh ground here no hurry to get the bike ready !
Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Old Fart

Electrically heated gear (grips or clothing), should be wired back to the battery with its own separate fuse. Heated equipment can draw more amps than your existing fused circuits have to spare.

Clothing isn't a big problem since you have to "unplug" from the bike when you get off, so there is no chance then of draining the battery if you forget to turn it off.

Power for heated grips should also go back to the battery, but the line (also fused) should be switched via a relay controlled by your ignition switch so if you forget to switch off the grip heat, it doesn't drain your battery.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
04 1200C - Hammer 1250 - Smash Heads - .560 Cams - Supertrapp - Hurricane Flow A/C - TC88A Ignition

Last edited by cHarley; 02-13-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Hang Around

yes .. I understand that .. I am hooking up the main wires to the battery .. or one to positive on battery .. neg to frame ( or battery ) and teh third wire WITH the relay that will allow the grips to have power only when bike is on.. that one will go to a wire on the bike that have power only when ignition is on ..
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Hang Around

hey hooked up the grips .. used wraths advice hooked teh realy wire to the orange with white stripe accesory wire .. the wire on teh heated grips was also orange and white .. go figure LOL ..
grips work perfectly .. very clean install
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM

P

Tags
2000, 2005, accessory, diagram, factory, fuse, harley, harly, hot, ignition, main, power, signal, sportster, switch, turn, wiring