Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from my first trip to the HD dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
ManVsWorld
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Back from my first trip to the HD dealership.

After a long chat with the guys at Warr's, there should hopefully be an Iron 883 in my future

The smaller engine size helps my insurance and would appear to be the best bet for a new rider such as myself.

I'm trying to spec out my ideal bike with the My Dream Harley site, but I have to say it's not the most user-friendly experience. I think I'll just work my way through the threads on here, saving pics and details of the bikes I really like.

I'll provide updates as they happen .

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck with the Iron. Did you test ride it first?

Don't expect a canyon carver or a drag racer. It is neither. You may want to look at upgrading seat and suspension, just for comfort's sake, before doing the performance add-ons. Spend time with it before you change anything.

And if you are a brand-new rider and haven't already done so, take the MSF course.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
ManVsWorld
6th Gear

Thanks. I don't have my bike licence yet, so this is all forward planning. As you said, performance upgrades can wait! I'll be doing several extra training courses in addition to the licence test too. Safety over speed, definitely!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
lee
Cruiser

if your living in the smoke the iron will be perfect and great fun light to light up tottenham court road this summer.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Just don't try to keep up with any buddies on cafe bikes. You'll be grinding hard parts long before they do.

As far as light to light, don't try it with anything other than another 883 Sportster (okay maybe a 750 Shadow).

Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
ManVsWorld
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lee
if your living in the smoke the iron will be perfect and great fun light to light up tottenham court road this summer.
That's the plan. A commuter bike with soul!

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Just don't try to keep up with any buddies on cafe bikes. You'll be grinding hard parts long before they do.

As far as light to light, don't try it with anything other than another 883 Sportster (okay maybe a 750 Shadow).
I won't be trying to keep up with anyone just yet, except maybe the odd pedestrian, haha.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If this Is yer first ever street bike and you have no saddle time,,not even dirt,,
Get a Used bike,,,

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ManVsWorld
After a long chat with the guys at Warr's,
Arrrrr warr's, I love that place, A really great looking shop

Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by ManVsWorld
After a long chat with the guys at Warr's, there should hopefully be an Iron 883 in my future

The smaller engine size helps my insurance and would appear to be the best bet for a new rider such as myself.

I'm trying to spec out my ideal bike with the My Dream Harley site, but I have to say it's not the most user-friendly experience. I think I'll just work my way through the threads on here, saving pics and details of the bikes I really like.

I'll provide updates as they happen .

Sounds great Man.

You're following the same path that I took. My 2010 Iron is my first bike ever and I'm still loving it. Just finished a ride today where I had a Ducati and Suzuki owner looking over the bike in admiration.

Like others are stating the bike isn't the fastest, but it will keep up with many cruisers out there. I'm 5'9" and 160 pounds and I'm able to keep up with my buddies Road King in town with little problems. Once I get to the point I feel like I want more power I'll upgrade with a NRHS 1250 kit.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
JDubbs
6th Gear

So I was Wondering, I want to get a Nightster when I redeploy from the "Gannistan" I am 5'7" 180 lbs, Is this a good size bike for me!? I don't want to be all Stretching out on it? Thanks guys!! =)

Quick Reply: Back from my first trip to the HD dealership.