Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move from Forward to Mid Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just fold my Mids up when backing in my garage, never noticed a problem
Oh yeah,,
Nuther advantage to Mids,,you can stand up a bit and use yer bent legs as
shocks If ya can't help Hitting a nasty bump.
In an extreme case the bike can dance under you with Mids If you really Hit something.
where Forwards,,well yer commin off the seat and hopefully Its under you
when you come back down XD

Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mids on my bike this year. I prefer the mids as I feel I have more control. Some of that may come from the fact that most of my riding is on my FZ1. After the switch, you do need to get used to banging your shins on the pegs though.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
lildee
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have advice for what parts you can reuse...but I do have experience with forwards vs. mid's. (Although i'm only 5 feet tall..my experience may be different from your wife's).

My first bike was a yamaha vstar 650 custom. It had forward controls. Although I was VERY comfortable on long freeway rides...it felt really awkward for me in the twisties and doing u-turns but I got used to it. When I was ready for a different bike (my nightster), I made sure that I had mid-controls on it. I sat on a nightster with forward controls and my legs were locked. I do wish that I could extend my legs a little bit on long trips...I now have an engine guard which I may add highway pegs for comfort.

Prior to all this, I had never ridden a bike before nor have I been a passenger. I took the MSF course and used a rebel in the class, yes...I didn't know the difference, between forward's, mid's etc. at first, but gaining the experience I had and living near a lot of twisty roads, I did realize that mid's gave me a more confident feeling of being able to handle my bike (you're doing the right thing by changing them out!).

I TOTALLY AGREE with OSCO about hitting a bump or even a seam on the freeway...that is a FREAKY feeling and thankfully, I am paying attention and I'm able to brace myself on the pegs.

Her success in riding is very critical to her feeling comfortable while on her bike! All the best to you both...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool To all you New Sporty riders,,,

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
I put mids on my bike this year. I prefer the mids as I feel I have more control. Some of that may come from the fact that most of my riding is on my FZ1. After the switch, you do need to get used to banging your shins on the pegs though.

If you have Mids keep your bootlaces tucked and yer Pant legs tight.
If you wanna do the feet In the wind thing add Hi-way Pegs..
then you have both,,,best way to stretch IMO

Still want Forwards go for it,,at least you'll know from the Hi-way Pegs
what It's like.

Hi-way pegs n mounts $150-$200
Forwards,,,$400-$500 I think

Thats prolly why I like my Mids,,,Sport bikes

Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally agree with the "feeling better in the twisties" crowd about the mids. Tucking in also with a storm or hgh winds. Been there done that. But as you gain experience and confidence you realize you can handle that with the forwards. How bout you put mid "pegs" and leave the controls fwd. Got a place to put your feet when you need a break. I have mids on my fx and spend most of the time with my feet on the crash bars. fwds on the sporty

Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
...How bout you put mid "pegs" and leave the controls fwd.
Unfortunately, the mid-peg frame mounts would interfere with the forward controls' linkage. About the only way around it is custom bent linkage. Not out of the realm of possible, but I don't remember seeing it done. You can, however, have mid controls and use the forward mounts/pegs as highway bars. It might look a little funny unless you put a spacer where the forward brake/shift levers would normally be on the peg stalk.
Lots of opinions/points to consider. Sometimes I put my feet on the passenger pegs to stretch my back and lean into the wind. Everybody has their favorite position. Try 'em all.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osco
If you have Mids keep your bootlaces tucked and yer Pant legs tight.
If you wanna do the feet In the wind thing add Hi-way Pegs..
then you have both,,,best way to stretch IMO

Still want Forwards go for it,,at least you'll know from the Hi-way Pegs
what It's like.

Hi-way pegs n mounts $150-$200
Forwards,,,$400-$500 I think

Thats prolly why I like my Mids,,,Sport bikes
My bike came with forwards so I had to buy the mid parts. I was able to get most from a guy over at XLF. The rest I got from Zanotti's. For highway, I just put pegs on the forward mounts. Great advice on the laces. That was really a surprise with one of the loops got caught on the peg. I use little velcro straps to velcro my laces.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
oltrout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went with hwy pegs and just adjusted my mid controls up a couple notches and use the back of my heal to shift up and down....very rarely do i miss a shift and with the mid pegs i can move my legs back and forth and like someone else said stand on them if i see a big bump coming...i thought my first mod would be fwd controls but this way saved me some bucks

The following users liked this post:
#BirdDog (05-15-2020)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if the mid controls off of my 99 will fit your wifes bike but if they will I can work something out. Might be missing a few bolts but those should no be hard to come by. If I get down to the hd shop I will see if they can run the numbers. I have the mounts for the hwy pegs too if they will fit

Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 AM
banginTwins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update....

A bike shop I use to work at, the owner had a set of mid's that he had laying around in a box and said if I would set up his new computer he would either give me the mid's if he could find them or pay up to $75 for a set for me....well today he found the box...so we are the proud owners of a set of almost new mid controls! Thanks for the help guys and will be sure to post up some updates on how Wifey does on April 22-23-24th when she takes her MSF class to learn to ride....she is really excited and scared a bit at the sametime....she will do fine....I am not even going to go watch....don't want her any more nervous then she already is! But I will be sure to report back....at the MSF class, it's given at our local community college....cost $275 to take it and you use their bikes....her bike is already tagged and insured so once she gets license....which if all goes well, APril 24th is a Sunday...the MSF class gives her a waiver so she just takes the paper to our DMV and they give her license....no futher test required....just tests, paper and riding, she takes at MSF class....so on Monday April 25 th if all goes well she will get her license....wish her luck! And some skills to boot!

Quick Reply: Move from Forward to Mid Controls