Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move from Forward to Mid Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oltrout
i went with hwy pegs and just adjusted my mid controls up a couple notches and use the back of my heal to shift up and down....very rarely do i miss a shift and with the mid pegs i can move my legs back and forth and like someone else said stand on them if i see a big bump coming...i thought my first mod would be fwd controls but this way saved me some bucks
smart..that works good..
I put forwards on my sportie..looked good , thought I liked them ..
the past few years , i have noticed my bottom parts get tired after a
few miles ( like 50-60 miles)

then I remembered a 900 mile run on it when it had mids,and hiway pegs..
I didnt complain back then , stopped for gas every 100 miles..
the only time I got off bike...

well I took off the forward controls , and re-installed the mids ,and hiway pegs..

just rode it 200 miles , and being able to switch from front to mid,to rear pegs left me so I can still walk ..hooray for the mids..
I also raised the shifter to shift with my heel ...
BTW , I have a 91 1200 solid mount engine ....vibration is there ...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Ruger05
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for starting this thread
I just got a 2005 XL 1200C with forward controls and having been on it
a couple times already, feel like I would like to go back to mid-controls. If in the future I feel more confident, I'll put the forwards back on.
It's nice to be able to read through all the posts for the info I need.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger05
Thanks for starting this thread
I just got a 2005 XL 1200C with forward controls and having been on it
a couple times already, feel like I would like to go back to mid-controls. If in the future I feel more confident, I'll put the forwards back on.
It's nice to be able to read through all the posts for the info I need.
I'll trade you my mids for your forwards. I'll even sweeten the deal a little cause I know forwards are worth more than mids

Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Ruger05
Stage III

I'll trade you my mids for your forwards. I'll even sweeten the deal a little cause I know forwards are worth more than mids
thanks, but i'm gonna keep 'em, just for future use when I get to feelin' like I want to change...

Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Pudgee123
Stage IV
Default Mid-controls

...I see this thread is a year old, but my 2 cents is that at 5'5" and a 28" inseam, there is no way that I can even reach most forward controls...let alone operate them while riding. THAT is more of a consideration in picking out a bike than the seat height. Often you can still tip-toe the ground on a high seat, but if you can't shift or rear brake, you're screwed. I agree, if you want to stretch out at some highway pegs.

Ride safe,

Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
If she doesn't know any different, go with the forwards. About the only advantage the mids give at low speeds is the ability to make a very tight u-turn. However, she'll have to be comfortable with weighting the inside peg and putting her butt on the outside of the saddle while sitting straight up as the bike leans. That seems a little more advanced than riding with forwards (no pun intended). Plus, not being able to put your foot down while at a complete stop because your pants leg is caught on a mid-mount peg so the bike goes down and fractures your foot could be a deal breaker for a newbie. Seen it happen. I hated hitting my legs on the mid pegs while backing the bike, too. I tried 'em and took 'em off after a day.
A '99 Sportster's forwards are farther out than an '04 and up (two inches, iirc).
I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a set of used mids.
Your mileage may vary.

Look particularly at the bold sentences! I am a female, 5' 1" tall with an 883 SuperLow. When I first got the bike, I almost dropped it solely due to putting my foot down and getting my pant leg caught. After that I was terrified of dropping the bike. After moving to forward controls, I can't imagine ever going back to mid controls. Yes she has to learn to make turns hugging the tank or as described above but she will learn. Have your wife check out her ability to put her foot down quickly on a bike at the dealership. If she can't clear the mid pegs, I would tell her to learn with the forward controls with the technique described above or take additional classes to get comfortable on a bike. My two cents.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 AM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by heybaylor
smart..that works good..
I put forwards on my sportie..looked good , thought I liked them ..
the past few years , i have noticed my bottom parts get tired after a
few miles ( like 50-60 miles)

then I remembered a 900 mile run on it when it had mids,and hiway pegs..
I didnt complain back then , stopped for gas every 100 miles..
the only time I got off bike...

well I took off the forward controls , and re-installed the mids ,and hiway pegs..

just rode it 200 miles , and being able to switch from front to mid,to rear pegs left me so I can still walk ..hooray for the mids..
I also raised the shifter to shift with my heel ...
BTW , I have a 91 1200 solid mount engine ....vibration is there ...
My sporty came with forwards. Look a 100 mile trip on it and the next day my lower back was so knotted up putting on my boots was an effort. Something with the seating position played hell with my already bad back. Mids and highway pegs for me now.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM
solo48
Tourer

i have forwards and they are comfy for me (6'1") but i find myself kicking back to my pass. pegs from time to time to get low if need be (when the wife is not with me that is haha) but i think it def comes down to preference, my xs650 has mids on it and they have never contacted my shins...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Ruger05
Stage III

Well, It's been about 1500 miles since the mid's were put on and I love them. It doesn't hurt either that my inseam is 33 1/2".....Went out this weekend and felt comfortable in the twisties. Definitely have more control over the bike than the bike having control over me!
Enjoy the spring everyone!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
ws6lvr
6th Gear

I have a 2000 sportster 1200 and im thinking about going with mids...only because my first bike was a Yamaha YZF 600 and I find that the forward controls on my Harley are alittle hard for me to reach. Any ideas on how I go about switching these to mid?

Quick Reply: Move from Forward to Mid Controls