Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay I cleaned up the shifter a lot more today. Decided to go with a copper cover for it to match the copper line on that side. Heres some pics.

Had to grind down the stock shifter peg to make it fit more flush with that piece of z bar I used.

Took a piece of 1 inch (inner diameter) copper pipe I had, cut it to the length I wanted, and put the z bar piece with shifter peg inside.

We crimped up the bottom to make it hug the stock shifter peg a little better and not look so funky. The stock shifter being squared off and all.

Bolted it all together, with a little bit shorter bolt of course lol.

Bolted the clutch lever to the z bar and flush with the copper pipe. Cut another piece of copper pipe about 1.5 inches or so and slipped it on the other side of the clutch lever. Then put a black grip over top. Came back in with a brillo and shined the copper up, then polished it. I like the copper.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

joebotics,
how do you keep the primary fluid from coming out the clutch cable end and making a mess?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike07FLHTC
joebotics,
how do you keep the primary fluid from coming out the clutch cable end and making a mess?

good question Mike.. I forgot to mention it, but I ran into that issue on an earlier attempt.. the cable was too low and it started leaking... the key is to make the jacket as long and close to the peg as possible, you can see from the pics that the gap between the wire clamp and the cable cover is perhaps 1 inch.. if somebody who wants to copy this idea but has a lowered front end then perhaps he/she needs to modify the design so the peg mount is higher and the clutch cable cover longer... but you got a point there...

BDavis... I am liking the copper!..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
good question Mike.. I forgot to mention it, but I ran into that issue on an earlier attempt.. the cable was too low and it started leaking... the key is to make the jacket as long and close to the peg as possible, you can see from the pics that the gap between the wire clamp and the cable cover is perhaps 1 inch.. if somebody who wants to copy this idea but has a lowered front end then perhaps he/she needs to modify the design so the peg mount is higher and the clutch cable cover longer... but you got a point there...

the reason I ask is because I'm working on making a seal for the end of the cable on my boys bike. We shortened the cable made the jockey shift foot clutch but it leaks. Closing the gap you spoke of will not stop the leak. The primary fluid will blow out goin down the road at 70 in the summer time.

Attached Thumbnails Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.-pics-off-cam-1.14.11-140.jpg   Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.-pics-off-cam-1.14.11-139.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mike07FLHTC
the reason I ask is because I'm working on making a seal for the end of the cable on my boys bike. We shortened the cable made the jockey shift foot clutch but it leaks. Closing the gap you spoke of will not stop the leak. The primary fluid will blow out goin down the road at 70 in the summer time.
Interesting... I will have to check mine.. I haven't noticed any leaking on mine... so what type of seal are you making? I would like to see more detail if possible.. what year is your boy's bike? .. I have seen the LaBriola cable... it is similar to yours/mine... do you know if the LaBriola in fact comes with a seal?

Last edited by joebotics; 02-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bdavis310
Thanks man!

Man...I completely hijacked your thread... beers are on me!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv'e never had an issue with primary fluid coming out the end of my clutch cable.

My first version was a straight lever like yours. I vibrated waaay to much and I did not like how far I had to move it to shift.
My second version is more of a tank style shifter but I like it much better. I acts like a quick shifter and I only have to move it about 2" to shift.

BTW True "suicide" is hand shift, foot clutch, no front brake!

Attached Thumbnails Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.-foot-clutch-2.jpg   Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.-new-shifter-2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by woodworking1
Iv'e never had an issue with primary fluid coming out the end of my clutch cable.

My first version was a straight lever like yours. I vibrated waaay to much and I did not like how far I had to move it to shift.
My second version is more of a tank style shifter but I like it much better. I acts like a quick shifter and I only have to move it about 2" to shift.

BTW True "suicide" is hand shift, foot clutch, no front brake!

hey!... thanks for the info... nice setup you got there... question... if your cable from a kit / company?.. or did you cut the clutch cable to size yourself?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jose - I am completely confused. Maybe cause it's beer/whiskey/screwdriver time in Houston. I look forward to your tutororororial.

Nice new tires!

Quick Reply: Made a suicide shift, jockey shift? whatever this kind is called, for my nightster.