Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rocker cover gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 PM
James Maynard
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rocker cover gasket replacement

I have to replace the rocker cover gaskets on my 99 Sportster and the manual says that I will have to remove the engine in order to replace the gaskets. Is this really necessary or has anyone done this without going through all that. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser

Dont' know about the 99, but I recently changed them off my 2008 and the only things I had to remove were the fuel tank and the air cleaner.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James- No need to pull the engine!
One thing, if you are doing the rear.... it can be a little tricky to get it out from under the backbone. Here is my plan of attack: I put my hands flat under the cover(top of 3), and vibrate it with quickly with my middle fingers ( up and down ) until it works it's way out. If ya try and force it, you run the chance of bending it. It will come.... just be patient.
Also, I believe you need to grind down a allen wrench to fit...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ride2tires
James- No need to pull the engine!
One thing, if you are doing the rear.... it can be a little tricky to get it out from under the backbone. Here is my plan of attack: I put my hands flat under the cover(top of 3), and vibrate it with quickly with my middle fingers ( up and down ) until it works it's way out. If ya try and force it, you run the chance of bending it. It will come.... just be patient.
Also, I believe you need to grind down a allen wrench to fit...
[IMG][/IMG]
+1. You do NOT need to pull the engine, and you'll need some patients on pulling the rear rocker cover.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 04-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
James Maynard
Stage II

Thanks so much for the advice. I will sure give it a try.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

There is no need to grind a wrench down. It only comes out one way with the tank on. With the tank off, it wil come right out. Take your time and watch the top center gasket as you are sliding the top rear cove on.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Bobber Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine on my 98 and the front is easy, the back however I had to take the push rods out to get the cover to slide out. They pull right out and they are marked so remember where each goes other wise you will be searching the manual to put them back in. After you pull the rods it should slide right out the carb side of the bike. They were easy after that.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

Wood is right, should have been more specific....
the "altering wrench" thing only came into play if removing the bottom rocker base. You will know the troubled child when you see it. It is RIGHT under the back bone. Though, if you have a extensive tool set, maybe y'all got one that'll work. I look for a holy sacrifice and toss it on the "grinder alter". :-)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish the original owner of my 99 would have asked this question...

The rear is a tight fit to get to but it can be done. However, my idiot Previous Owner decided that it was too hard and instead drilled two holes in the frame to get an extension through!!!!! Didn't see them when I bought the bike (tank and seat covered them up) and when I finally found them I wondered why they were there until I did my 1200 swap and, having changed the front stock rocker box gasket because it was leaking, found the rear one had already been changed.

So it was pretty easy for me but I had a built in "cheat". Without that, a really low profile socket and wratcheting wrench will do the trick in getting those two hard to reach bolts out...(they're the two under the backbone, obviously)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
my idiot Previous Owner decided that it was too hard and instead drilled two holes in the frame to get an extension through!!!!!

Quick Reply: Question about rocker cover gasket replacement