Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before and After

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
XLOSTX
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job. have you thoght about droping the front turn signals to the forks ? it would clean the bars up. I did it on my 03 and went with smoked lenses.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Murph918
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black12,
Bike looks good. I installed drag bars and I'd like to invert my mirrors but they hit the tank.
-what is the difference in height between the stock custom riser and the risers you installed.
-how do the new shocks ride compared to the stock ride?
thanks
Murph

Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Black12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Voony
I love what you did to your bike! Did you lower the front end as well? I have the Burly slammer kit but only lowered the rear.

Also, is that the Joker Machine speedo relocation?
I didn't lower the front at all, I considered it, but I like the look how it is and all things considered, it handles better than stock. It's more responsive and seems to dig in harder in the twisties.

Yup, Joker Machine mount, I got a screamin deal on it at a local indy shop. A customer ordered it and couldn't come up with the $$, I lucked out and got it at cost.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Black12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Murph918
Black12,
Bike looks good. I installed drag bars and I'd like to invert my mirrors but they hit the tank.
-what is the difference in height between the stock custom riser and the risers you installed.
-how do the new shocks ride compared to the stock ride?
thanks
Murph
There's almost a 2" difference in bar height, the straight risers being taller with no pullback, much more comfortable for me.

Honestly, the Burly's ride maybe a touch stiffer than stock, I ran my stockers at the 1st notch and I run the burly's at the 2nd notch, I bottomed out the Burly's on the 1st notch.

The seat is a result of boredom and alcohol, lol! Comfort wise, it's better than stock, but not near what my Mustang seat is. I'll probably end up with a Lepara in the near future.

Thanks for the compliments and critiques folks! I do appreciate the input!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Murph918
Advanced

Originally Posted by Black12
There's almost a 2" difference in bar height, the straight risers being taller with no pullback, much more comfortable for me.

Honestly, the Burly's ride maybe a touch stiffer than stock, I ran my stockers at the 1st notch and I run the burly's at the 2nd notch, I bottomed out the Burly's on the 1st notch.

The seat is a result of boredom and alcohol, lol! Comfort wise, it's better than stock, but not near what my Mustang seat is. I'll probably end up with a Lepara in the near future.

Thanks for the compliments and critiques folks! I do appreciate the input!
Thanks for the info, I might start to look at the risers. Last week while riding I noticed the speedo intermittenly not working... Probably wiring but rather than replacing with stock speedo may be a good time to switch over to risers and a new speedo and tech.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
clark-kentski
Intermediate

Looks great!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
MasterBaynton
Advanced

Don't let your buddy F with the paint. Alot of people make the mistake of flaming every freaking thing on their bikes. You've done a great job with this bike, and as soon as you change that seat out, it will be a very tasty ride.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black12
I didn't lower the front at all, I considered it, but I like the look how it is and all things considered, it handles better than stock. It's more responsive and seems to dig in harder in the twisties.

Yup, Joker Machine mount, I got a screamin deal on it at a local indy shop. A customer ordered it and couldn't come up with the $$, I lucked out and got it at cost.
I agree on the handling. My bike feels much better now that I've slammed the rear. I was wondering if slamming the front would be good too.

How was the install of the Joker Machine? Do you have close up pics of it?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Black12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Voony
How was the install of the Joker Machine? Do you have close up pics of it?
The install was pretty easy, but I did have the advantage of a friend helping me out. You have to slide the fork tubes out of the upper triple tree just enough to get the bracket on the tube. Since I don't have a motorcycle jack I used the next best thing, an engine hoist. I ran a strap from the handle bars to the hoist, jacked up the hoist and got a little pressure on the scoot, loosened the pinch bolts on the triples, raised the hoist till the fork tubes slid out enough to get the bracket on, lowered the hoist, used a caliper to measure the fork tubes to get them back in the same spot I started in. Having a friend there to hold the scoot steady helped out a lot.

The wiring was pretty straight forward, although the instructions have you matching colors, on my '06 all the wires to use are black, but they are marked with what color they should so it was pretty easy, just match, splice, and you're done.

here's some pics-
Front- yes my bike is filthy, lol!

plenty of clearance at full lock-

Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 AM
BigMac1200c
Intermediate

Black 12 where did you find the tank? I have been tossing the idea of putting the smaller tank on cause i like the looks of them better, but dont know where to find one. Your bike looks great just pushed me over the tossing the idea to looking for stuff for this winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Before and After