Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 Sportster Exhaust upgrade help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Omenf1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stealer says to me that changing the exhausts need a EECU reload.

Seems to me that injection system should be able to handle the change, I can see where puttin on a more open exhaust will get the air flow different, resulting in the engine running "leaner" (more air, less fuel) and thus generating more heat.

BUT, air mass sensor should read this, and EECU should act by injecting more (longer) - that is why it's called engine management..

So I do not really believe Stealer, but why would they not just be honest then..

PS also from Belgium

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
specterindustries
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kane2727
Ok guys i have an 09 Iron 883 sportster with screaming eagle slip ons,but they are chrome.I really want to throw some Vance & Hines black powder coated shorties on there but im curious,what else has to be done on this type of upgrade??? what other costs might i expect as far as if any additional part or accessories are needed etc..any idea what this all may cost over all,i know labor varies but an estimate would be great?? thanks everyone..

Check this out. If you are looking to do some upgrades on your bike, don't go to the dealer to do them (unless you are doing engine work...I still haven't gotten the ***** to do my 1250 upgrade by myself yet.) because it will cost you way more money than its worth. Here are a few pics of what I was able to do. Now, this is not only the first bike ive ever worked on, its the first time I ever rode. I had never even thought about customizing a bike before and then one day I saw some stuff in a few forums and now she looks like this. As far as pipes, if you change them out I would highly recommend a new air cleaner (you can get a simple stage I from denniskirk.com for pretty cheap), and some fuel management. A lot of people stick with the powercommander, but if you don't have the $300+ to spend on it, there are alternatives. I have a V+H fuel pak on mine, but I still have some map tweaking to do when I get off this deployment. So if you want to see what 0 experience, minimal amount of tools, a little cash, and a whole lot of cursing and screaming can get you, take a look...and If I can do this...anyone can.

hope this inspires anyone who wants to do some mods, but doesn't think he can.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Omenf1

Seems to me that injection system should be able to handle the change, I can see where puttin on a more open exhaust will get the air flow different, resulting in the engine running "leaner" (more air, less fuel) and thus generating more heat.

BUT, air mass sensor should read this, and EECU should act by injecting more (longer) - that is why it's called engine management..

So I do not really believe Stealer, but why would they not just be honest then..

PS also from Belgium
The dealer will tell you that, but its wrong.

Especially if all you do is the exhaust and you don't touch the intake.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
xtasee78
1st Gear

I have the chrome short shots, screaming eagle air intake and super tuner. Makes a BIG difference. A little loud but a lot more power. All in from HD dealer installed $1300. Feels like a new bike. Well worth it.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by specterindustries
Check this out. If you are looking to do some upgrades on your bike, don't go to the dealer to do them (unless you are doing engine work...I still haven't gotten the ***** to do my 1250 upgrade by myself yet.) because it will cost you way more money than its worth. Here are a few pics of what I was able to do. Now, this is not only the first bike ive ever worked on, its the first time I ever rode. I had never even thought about customizing a bike before and then one day I saw some stuff in a few forums and now she looks like this. As far as pipes, if you change them out I would highly recommend a new air cleaner (you can get a simple stage I from denniskirk.com for pretty cheap), and some fuel management. A lot of people stick with the powercommander, but if you don't have the $300+ to spend on it, there are alternatives. I have a V+H fuel pak on mine, but I still have some map tweaking to do when I get off this deployment. So if you want to see what 0 experience, minimal amount of tools, a little cash, and a whole lot of cursing and screaming can get you, take a look...and If I can do this...anyone can.

hope this inspires anyone who wants to do some mods, but doesn't think he can.
Your bike looks incredible.

What kit/parts did you use to relocate the front turn signals?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 PM
madmax442
Tourer

2 into 1!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Omenf1

PS also from Belgium
I could be wrong but I dont think our bikes have MAF sensors,If they did it would see more air and adjust for it.

Last edited by Outtakes; 09-15-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Outtakes
I could be wrong but I dont think our bikes have MAF sensors,If they did it would see more air and adjust for it.
The 883 for sure does not have a MAF.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
My883Iron
Stage I
Default It's not really a reply but more of a question.

This is more of a question along side of his question. I have a 2012 883 Iron and i would like to make the bike louder with new pipes. But everywhere I look or go someone is telling me that i have to put on a fuel pack, and add an air intake system. I dont want to have to spend the extra cash for a stage one kit i just want to add the V & H short shots and thats it..

now is that possible with being able to just add the pipes and nothing else? ive been going over this and researching for a while now and still have not gotten a straight answer or at least and answer in which i am looking for.

someone help that would be great. just trying to make it louder and possible safer so people can hear coming.

thanks everyone.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 AM
aaronleenewberry
5th Gear

I did the exaust install myself. Taking the stock exaust off was easy, but when bolting on the shortshots you def need a helping hand to hold everything in place. I was really easy to do, and as for the fuelpak that was super easy aswell. Its a much easier install on the new irons. I still have stock air cleaner and my bike rides nice.

Quick Reply: Iron 883 Sportster Exhaust upgrade help!!