Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joker Machine Air Cleaner: Real Fitment? / Velocity Stacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joker Machine Air Cleaner: Real Fitment? / Velocity Stacks

Hey guys,

For my 02 883C I am looking either to put a velocity stack (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index...._detail&p=1483) or one of the JM's air cleaner assembly (http://www.jokermachine.com/itemstre...&Placeholder=0). On JM's website it says that it only fits 04-up Sportys, and this is what they said to me by email but both Dennis Kirk and Drag Specialties say it fits earlier models. What would be your take on this? :-)

Also, I read in different places that velocity stack could harm engines. I've read that stacks with filters do not perform well and that the ones (like the one linked above) with mesh screens only protect alright but not in dusty conditions. I've read comments from many people, some saying stacks are to be avoided and some others said they had no problems at all. I ride in urban conditions most of the time (read "city" and some country side riding but in VA so no desert and no beach). What is your take on that too?

The reason why I'm looking at these two different products is because they seem to both be small and show the engine a lot (I'm more into smooth/simple lines than anything else).

Thanks a lot (in advance). Your help, guys, is always more than welcome

Vinny

Last edited by Voony; 04-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Nobody wants to make a try on this?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
kountry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reall want a set up like the lowbrow I live in Cali and have seen those types on slot of customs out here.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the JM Air cleaner and I don't see why it wouldn't fit. The only difference between the model years is the Support bracket for the Throttle body on the EFI sportsters, you may need to install some spacers (extra washers) for the breathers where the banjo bolts are to make everything line up evenly.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I have the JM Air cleaner and I don't see why it wouldn't fit. The only difference between the model years is the Support bracket for the Throttle body on the EFI sportsters, you may need to install some spacers (extra washers) for the breathers where the banjo bolts are to make everything line up evenly.
It should work! Still, I keep going back and forth between a setup like this, or a cheaper air cleaner with some sort of breather system and the stack...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony

Also, I read in different places that velocity stack could harm engines. I've read that stacks with filters do not perform well and that the ones (like the one linked above) with mesh screens only protect alright but not in dusty conditions.
Hey Voony... I have been riding with a Velocity Stack (Filter version) with no issues whatsoever... and in my opinion the engine runs as happy with it as when I had a high flow filter...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by joebotics
Hey Voony... I have been riding with a Velocity Stack (Filter version) with no issues whatsoever... and in my opinion the engine runs as happy with it as when I had a high flow filter...
Where did you get yours? Got a pic? :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
Where did you get yours? Got a pic? :-)
I got mine from ebay... about $200 including the breather kit...

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks man!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been running the JM intake for a while and once my fuel management system optimized itself I noticed a pretty decent gain in power through out the entire power band. My top end speed increased by quite a bit. Last time I rode it I took it up to 116mph but, unfortunately had to slow down it was too cold that day (19deg. before wind chill). My experience with velocity stacks is dust isn't just the problem but, also rain and debris. That is a simple fix though a perforated intake cover can be purchased for a few $. Still the quality of the JM intakes craftmanship is great.

Quick Reply: Joker Machine Air Cleaner: Real Fitment? / Velocity Stacks