Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Lock Help..!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
kane2727
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Security Lock Help..!!!!!!!!

Ok guys i have an Iron 883 and i love the piece of mind i get when i park it and cable lock it up and also use my big ubolt lock on the front wheel etc..The problem is im getting tired of hauling around a backpack every time i go somewhere i need to lock my bike up..Is there ANY type of secure lock that mounts to a bike?Or any one know of any tricks to hide a small disc lock brake on my iron.I know there are saddle bags and luggae rack and such BUT i wanna keep my bike as clean as possible so im trying to avoid that type of stuff on it..Any ideas or am I a back packer for life Help..!!!! Have too many friends here in Texas that have had their bikes stolen etc..only place i feel safe NOT locking it is at my local Harley dealerships and familys but id love to hop on and go without a back pack..Ideas????????????? Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Licks solo bag.....very small and dissappears into the design of the bike.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

http://www.lockitt.com/Xenasecurity.htm

Smaller and better than a u-lock.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM
kane2727
Advanced

thanks guys both are excellent suggestions,really diggin the pocket size Xena with alarm,think that will be a perfect on the go right now.going to try and find some reviews on it..

Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced
Default Just curious

I'm a new owner and probably relatively naive but what is the benefit of a disc lock vs just locking using the fork lock on the bike? Especially being a new rider I'd be afraid of forgetting I put that discrete hunk of metal on my disc and causing a lot of damage taking off.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
kane2727
Advanced

thats a good question Mojo,im sure one of the guys can better answer that for you..i. fairly new to riding as well,right off the bat the only thing i would guess is that the hunk of metal on your disk brake is far more noticeable and can serve as a visual deterrent.You can see its secured from far away and might make someone think twice and not even bother etc..but thats just me, i lock and chain whenever i can,Ive had friends had their bike dragged away from parking lots and stuff..people suck these days man..

Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grammaton
http://www.lockitt.com/Xenasecurity.htm

Smaller and better than a u-lock.
I use this lock in NYC, although I do not use the alarm. So far, so good.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
I'm a new owner and probably relatively naive but what is the benefit of a disc lock vs just locking using the fork lock on the bike? Especially being a new rider I'd be afraid of forgetting I put that discrete hunk of metal on my disc and causing a lot of damage taking off.
Harley has a disc lock that is flourescent orange. It also has an orange teather that goes up to your throttle. ( The guy behind the counter calls it an idiot cord) I guess that would make the rider an idiot if he or she tries to ride away with it on.....

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as storing your disc lock on the bike, find a place to mount a small metal plate and drill a hole in it and lock the lock to it when you are not using it.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
As far as storing your disc lock on the bike, find a place to mount a small metal plate and drill a hole in it and lock the lock to it when you are not using it.
thats a good idea...i may have to try that

Quick Reply: Security Lock Help..!!!!!!!!