Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Sportster XLCH Electric Start Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
HogDog565
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Sportster XLCH Electric Start Conversion

I just bought a 1973 Sportster XLCH stock with the kickstart and really struggling with it. I am considering an electric start and after searching for options I am just more confused. I absolutely am love with riding this bike but it is quickly becoming not fun due to the kickstart.

Any thoughts on a low cost option to either make kickstarting easier or add an electric start? I'm afraid my leg is going to fall off after kicking a 1000cc over and over. I know mechanically it is sound because I bought it from a friend that did a full restore and only has about 150 miles on the new engine. He can kick it easily but is a much bigger guy than me. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the bike is properly tuned, it should take about four kicks to start it. I pretty much follow the owners manual procedure when I start my 75 XLCH with a slight variance.

3 shots of fuel from the accel pump, choke closed, ignition off, turn the idle speed screw in a half turn to give a fast idle on start up, 3 kicks to prime cylinders, choke off, ignition on and almost every time it will start on the first kick.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
HogDog565
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
If the bike is properly tuned, it should take about four kicks to start it. I pretty much follow the owners manual procedure when I start my 75 XLCH with a slight variance.

3 shots of fuel from the accel pump, choke closed, ignition off, turn the idle speed screw in a half turn to give a fast idle on start up, 3 kicks to prime cylinders, choke off, ignition on and almost every time it will start on the first kick.
Thanks - I appreciate the advice. I will try it out when I get home tonight.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also want to be careful not to jump up into the air when you're kicking this thing over, so as not to release any downward pressure you have on the kicker, cause it will slip if you lose that engagement. That's when you really get a sore knee.

I carefully get the kicker engaged to the engine and then keep that light downward pressure on the pedal with my foot and then again careful not to release that downward pressure lift myself off the ground with my left leg and come down on it.

My kicker usually winds up being about level with the ground when I am engaged for a kick. So I only get about 90 degrees of kick rotation, but as I mentioned before if it is properly tuned that's all it needs and she'll light off.

Good luck, and ride safe.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
aeonixx
Stage IV
Default Ironhead electric start

I have a 75 Ironhead just rebuilt with a lot of compression. After it has been running for a little while I can fire it up first kick, if I am starting for the first time in the morning I go through the Harley start ritual. 3 slow kicks ignition off, gas on, no choke, 4th kick the "Coupe de Grasse". This crap is getting old. My knee is just about shot. Tears come to my eyes everytime I have to kick that damn thing (just kidding, I love my bike). but I would sure like to have to the option of an electric start. I have been looking around and thee are two options.
1- buy some piece of crap starter off of e-bay that may not have all the parts for the conversion or buy the entire conversion kit.

2- Buy a conversion kit from a respected dealer and install it yourself (I dont trust people to touch my bike). You will not only need the starter motor you will need to upsize the battery, add the ring gear, make room for the starter and solenoid, etc, etc. all this for ~$400 that is if you dont have to change the oil bag. Mines hard tailed so no big deal for room. I am just getting started. I will update as I go

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Dragoon2
1st Gear

I don't have any problem getting my bike started using the kickstart, but i am trying to get my wife use to the bike and she doesn't have the strength to get it started. I want to install an electric start but have no idea how to even start with doing it. What kind of kits are available, or do I need to get everything piece by piece? How hard is it?