Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum-Just Bought a 48 and I Need Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM
mikeyypl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum-Just Bought a 48 and I Need Sound

Hey,

So just bought my first bike! A vivid black Sportster Forty Eight. I love it. And I also have a lot planned for it. For right now though I want to figure out how to put some pipes on my bike. I don't mind the stock pipes...but it's like putting a silencer on a gun. What would you guys recommend? Do I have to get a fuel management system in order to put on pipes?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like the look of your pipes you can just remove the baffles. They sound pretty good like that. I've done a ton of em.

And you really don't need to alter the fuel until you modify/change the air cleaner.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 AM
discodave
Tourer

You're going to get TONS of replies on this, and most will be for the pipes that the "responder" has on their bike. Let me be the first I have Thunderheaders (2 into 1) and love the sound. Lots of research went into these before getting them. Great performance, great sound, and great looks. You can see them in my signature pic.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by mikeyypl
Hey,

So just bought my first bike! A vivid black Sportster Forty Eight. I love it. And I also have a lot planned for it. For right now though I want to figure out how to put some pipes on my bike. I don't mind the stock pipes...but it's like putting a silencer on a gun. What would you guys recommend? Do I have to get a fuel management system in order to put on pipes?
I personally HIGHLY recommend Bassani Pipes I have Fire Sweeps on my 48 and they sound sooo much deeper and different than everybody elses Vance and Hines short shots. I also have an Arlen Ness Stage 2 Big Sucker and Vance and Hines Fuel Pack on mine...this sucker runs like a raped ape !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaVUa-QTac

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Exotic Choppers "fuelies" on mine. No baffles or oxygen sensors. I have the Power Commander V tuner kit also. Nice and loud!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Wade91
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those "fuelies" are the bomb! Love em.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
mikeyypl
Advanced

Beautiful bikes guys. I can't wait to get some pipes on mine. I really like the sound hooker troublemakers. Any thoughts on those?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

They quit making them because they were poorly constructed. The heat shield is a full wrap toward the end which makes them impossible to remove. You wouldn't need to remove them but the rest of the heat shields are half wraps with very half-assed fastener clamps that break and need to be rewelded alot.

I had some on my one of my 03's.

I got them from another member here and he was very clear as to the problems they have. I welded up the bad brkts and then the rest broke while I was tuning it before I ever took it out of the garage so I welded the **** out of the whole heat shield on each pipe and gave them to my buddy to use on his Street Bob. Yep, Sportster pipes fit on a Street Bob.

Last edited by mreed; 04-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know whose bike this is but gives you an idea of how yours would sound if you simple drilled your baffles.

http://youtu.be/iOPAV9BGZJs

Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Dhahran 48
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Aaron48
I personally HIGHLY recommend Bassani Pipes I have Fire Sweeps on my 48 and they sound sooo much deeper and different than everybody elses Vance and Hines short shots. I also have an Arlen Ness Stage 2 Big Sucker and Vance and Hines Fuel Pack on mine...this sucker runs like a raped ape !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaVUa-QTac
dude thats the BEST sound i've heard on a 48 !! could you make another clip but with a drive by ?

Quick Reply: New to Forum-Just Bought a 48 and I Need Sound