Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coating Chrome Exhaust pipes???

Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
kane2727
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powder coating Chrome Exhaust pipes???

Anyone have any idea what it would cost to black powder coat my chrome exhaust pipes?? or if its even possible?? just trying to find a temp.fix as upgrading to my black V&H short shots is just not in the budget for quite a while and looking at chrome exhaust is driving me crazy

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
cjbmustang
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kane2727
Anyone have any idea what it would cost to black powder coat my chrome exhaust pipes?? or if its even possible?? just trying to find a temp.fix as upgrading to my black V&H short shots is just not in the budget for quite a while and looking at chrome exhaust is driving me crazy
after many heat cycles the powdercoating will crack. at least it's true for cars and that was the reason i was given. not sure what EGT's our bikes put out

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Charley05
Advanced

A buddy of mine just did his they did it in some type of powdercoat that was like a black high heat powder coat, it was a Lil more expensive than a regular powder coat, but not much more it was still less than a hundred dollars not sure on the price but it turned out great and has held up thus far!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will blast your exhaust before they ceramic coat them (type of powder coating). I have had lots of chrome stuff done.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
cjbmustang
Tourer

Originally Posted by Charley05
A buddy of mine just did his they did it in some type of powdercoat that was like a black high heat powder coat, it was a Lil more expensive than a regular powder coat, but not much more it was still less than a hundred dollars not sure on the price but it turned out great and has held up thus far!
was it a type of ceramic coating? or jet-hot?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ceramic coating, Jet Coating and Jet Hot is ceramic coating its just a commercial product name.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
cjbmustang
Tourer

Originally Posted by cotnballs
Ceramic coating, Jet Coating and Jet Hot is ceramic coating its just a commercial product name.
usually ceramic is just a clear "polished" looking coating and jet-hot is black, typically.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Originally Posted by cjbmustang
usually ceramic is just a clear "polished" looking coating and jet-hot is black, typically.
ceramic is black and much more $$$$$ THE CERAMIC WILL COST YOU ALMOST IF NOT MORE THAN THE PIPES..LOOK AT MY SIG PIC....YOU CAN GET THE SHORTS ON LINE FOR 300 TO HAVE THE CERAMIC DONE 200 T0 300 LOOK INTO HIGH HEAT POWDER COAT,THEY SAND BLAST THE CHROME OFF THEN PC THEM.YOU CAN PC OVER CHROME BUT NOT ON PIPES,HEAT WILL CRACK THEM,I HAVE SEEN HEAT SHIELDS DONE IN BBQ RATTLE CAN AND LOOK OK

Last edited by RICHIEMACK; 05-09-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
dlhike
Cruiser
Default last winter...

powder coated SE slipons(2) and both heat shields for $150.
In Omaha Nebraska - price should vary depending where your at...

Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who have had it done already (over chrome), how has the black ceramic coat held up against scratching? Everything I've read lately says it scratches real easy. I assume having them sand or silica blasted prior would help deter this?

I'm asking because I had my chrome 2 into 1 done, and after one ride I noticed bright speckles showing through. The next day when cool, I rubbed it with my thumb and it came off in sheets.

That being said....
A couple of years ago, I scuffed the entire chrome pipe with scotch brite and WD-40 to give it that nickel appearance. I've heard horror stories about guys who ran their tins bare metal for a while and used WD-40 to keep the rust away. Later they had them painted and the paint bubbled or lifted. Even after the painter used the correct cleaners prior to seal and prime etc...

I'm wondering if I'm screwed now even if I have it blasted and re-coated. I've heard the WD-40 penetrates the metal for good????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powder coating Chrome Exhaust pipes???