Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

improve cornering clearance superlow

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Trade it in for a XL Custom or Roadster.......

Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's plenty of discontinued models. They still sell the XL883R in Europe!! But not in the USA. The older Custom, models were lowered also.

I just measured an XL883Custom, 2009 model.Shocks are 11.5" and forks are 32.5". So the earlier Customs (2004-2010 anyway) run standard length fork tubes, like my 2006 XL883, but then run lowered shocks. The shocks are 1.5" shorter on these Customs than the 13" my '06 runs stock.
Jon

Last edited by birdmove; 05-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so glad I held out for a Roadster XD

Too Old to feel the need to be Low, Slammed n cool.

I'm In it for the ride XD

Yeah take that SuperLow and get longer fork uppers and longer shocks
Just an Inch or two should do it.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Masarov
Advanced

Originally Posted by birdmove
Actually this morning at work I measured the shocks and fork lengths on a Superlow to compare with my 2006 XL883. The Superlow uses like 11" shocks and shorter fork tubes also. The overall length on my XL883 is about 32.5" and the Superlow is 30.25". That is all in the fork tubes themselves as they use the sake sliders. The shocks on the SL are 11" and my XL883 is 13". Also you could remove the footpeg "feelers" or replace the pegs with something else. Then the cornering clearance would be equal to my stock 2006 XL883, and it has never scrapes anything yet. I've leaned her pretty heavy at times too. The end result would be a nice 883 Sportser with good cornering clearance and a great ride (according to road tests of the Superlow it IS a great ride), a 4.5 gallon tank and a decent solo seat. Sounds good to me. I would also replace the bars with lower ones-but that's a matter of taste.

Jon
The Superlow IS a great ride. No question about it. I read all the sportbike magsin the US, but I read them critically, and I decided to go with my own riding experience. It is not a sportbike, but it is a dreambike in the riding department and, in my opinion, it looks way cooler, than a Ducati 696 and a BMW (which I tried). My two cents.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 AM
cerv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmxatv
agreed.....but that defeats the purpose of a "super low" doesn't it? lol.
Not really. There’s actually much more to the Superlow’s riding experience than the "superlow" thing. It’s sweet to steer on those new wheel/tyre combo and really feels rather more modern to ride than other Sporties.

I think it’s about the time Harley stop compromising the function to make totally unexperienced riders feel "safe" when sitting on a stationary bike in the showroom. Reasonable suspension travel at the rear would make Superlow way better bike.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by cerv
Not really. There’s actually much more to the Superlow’s riding experience than the "superlow" thing. It’s sweet to steer on those new wheel/tyre combo and really feels rather more modern to ride than other Sporties.
Thats mostly due to a change In rake and trail,,,,
Better low speed handling,,rake Is everything here XD

Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
flash57
4th Gear
Default many thanks for your suggestions

Many thanks friends for your kind help and suggestions

to be honest i'm satisfied of my superlow , but i'm used to have better
cornering clearances when i ride....so i'll have to change with 13 shocks

i have already been changing footpegs and both pipes are scraped....
Please note i'm 54 and even if i consider myself a good rider i'm not pretending to drive an HD like a GSXR but i found myself in a couple of dangerous situations.....the problem is not scraping side stand or mufflers
but the fact you could loose control of the bike when you hit hard the road (i don't know if i have been able to explain what i mean....)

Obviously HD does not even imagine what kind of (awful)roads we have here in Italy but i sold a road king thinking to buy a a more sporty bike
but to be honest i never had this kind of troubles with the king.....

Ciao
paolo

Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
cerv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flash57
Many thanks friends for your kind help and suggestions

to be honest i'm satisfied of my superlow , but i'm used to have better
cornering clearances when i ride....so i'll have to change with 13 shocks

i have already been changing footpegs and both pipes are scraped....
Please note i'm 54 and even if i consider myself a good rider i'm not pretending to drive an HD like a GSXR but i found myself in a couple of dangerous situations.....the problem is not scraping side stand or mufflers
but the fact you could loose control of the bike when you hit hard the road (i don't know if i have been able to explain what i mean....)

Obviously HD does not even imagine what kind of (awful)roads we have here in Italy but i sold a road king thinking to buy a a more sporty bike
but to be honest i never had this kind of troubles with the king.....

Ciao
paolo
Tu sei l’ italiano? Bravo! Le vostre strade di montagna sono piu belle! But you really need longer shocks for roads like yours.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 AM
flash57
4th Gear

Hi i agree our roads on the alps are really nice but to enjoy i actually need a reasonable suspension travel at the rear as Cerv correctly noted

wheel and tyres are great but i def have to change my shocks
Any suggestion ?
thanks
Paolo

Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I scrape my pipes long before I reach them pegs since going to this exhaust. Not that huge of a deal.

Quick Reply: improve cornering clearance superlow