Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004+ Sportster Turn Signal Operation (Turn Signal Module)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2004+ Sportster Turn Signal Operation (Turn Signal Module)

One of the things not really covered in the Owners Manual is how the Turn Signal Module (TSM) controls the operator of the signals, and the conditions in which the signal will cancel itself, remain on, etc...

In case anyone might be interested, the following is what determines the blinking, or cancellation of the signal after you "push the button"...

Turn Signal Operation (should be for 2004+ Sportsters)..

Automatic Cancellation;

(Note - the TSM/TSSM will not cancel the signal before the turn is actually completed).

1. When the turn signal button is pressed and released, the system begins a 20 count. As long as the motorcycle is moving above 7 MPH (11 KPH) and the TSM does not receive any additional input, the turn signals will cancel after 20 bulb flashes.

2. If the motorcycles speed drops to 7 MPH (11 KPH) or less, the turn signals will continue to flash. The count resumes when the motorcycle reaches 8 MPH (13 KPH) and the turn signal will cancel when the total count equals 20 bulb flashes.

3. The turn signals will cancel two seconds after a turn of 45 degrees or more is completed.

Manual Cancellation

1. After the turn signal button is pressed and released, the system begins a 20 count. To cancel the turn signal, press the turn signal button a second time.

2. If the turn direction is changed, press the opposite turn signal button. The primary signal is cancelled and the opposite turn signal will flash.

Next time you are driving down a straight road (without any traffic around) hit one of your turn signal buttons. The signal should cancel itself after reaching the '20 blink count'.

I verified this on my 2005 1200C, and the signal work exactly as described above.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 2004+ Sportster Turn Signal Operation (Turn Signal Module)

Interesting post..... Thanks. Love my diectional and the way they cancel automatically..... Very Cool.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Klaatu77FLH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old post but I thought I would see if you all agree with me. The left signal does not blink on both front and back. I was able to verify the switch works in the grip with a VOM and checked the bulbs. I reseated the connector for the TSM but it still does not blink.

I guess I am buying a new TSM. Don't think there is much else to check on this.

BTW this is my wifes bike and it is an 05-883C sporty.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 PM
woodybear
Cruiser

Thanks for the info good stuff to know, I'll have to check it out the next time I go for a ride I have 2010 1200C.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
J R
Stage II
Default self Conceling turn signals

I have a 94 1200 Sporty and the turn signals start when you press the switch, and they don't stop until you press the switch again

This means that I have to remember to turn it off after a turn.
I don't always remember and end up driving all over town with the turn signals blinking NOT COOL

I installed a Badlands device which now cancels the turn signals after 10 seconds. This is good except left turns at spoplights take longer than 10 seconds, so I have to keep pressing the switch

Because the newer sporty's have the great self canceling feature you described, I have been trying to determine if I could set up my sporty to work the same way as the newer sportys

I was told I needed a newer speedo with special wires to relay info to the Module so I got a 2001 electronic speedo.

I was told that the newer sportys don't have a turn signal module because everything is now handled by the electronic control module. So I am wondering if I connected my speedo to a newer Electronic Control Module, and connected only my turn signals to the electronic control module, would it now work like a newer sporty

I would like to know before I buy an expensive newer electronic control module

Any help??

Thanks