Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

improve cornering clearance superlow

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM
flash57
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default improve cornering clearance superlow

Hi

is there a solution to improve the cornering clearance of a superlow
...maybe too much superlow....

also do you know if there's a chromed clamp (i'd wish to add a tacho)

i was planning to put a drag bar and i bought an used original xl custom riser but i realised it will not work with the upper superlow triple tree.....

best regards fm italy

ciao
paolo

Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flash57
is there a solution to improve the cornering clearance of a superlow
...maybe too much superlow....
Sure!!! Just add taller shocks. Say 12" or 13" shocks will work.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

Actually this morning at work I measured the shocks and fork lengths on a Superlow to compare with my 2006 XL883. The Superlow uses like 11" shocks and shorter fork tubes also. The overall length on my XL883 is about 32.5" and the Superlow is 30.25". That is all in the fork tubes themselves as they use the sake sliders. The shocks on the SL are 11" and my XL883 is 13". Also you could remove the footpeg "feelers" or replace the pegs with something else. Then the cornering clearance would be equal to my stock 2006 XL883, and it has never scrapes anything yet. I've leaned her pretty heavy at times too. The end result would be a nice 883 Sportser with good cornering clearance and a great ride (according to road tests of the Superlow it IS a great ride), a 4.5 gallon tank and a decent solo seat. Sounds good to me. I would also replace the bars with lower ones-but that's a matter of taste.

Jon

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Drdriller
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just replace the foot pegs , when you corner, will you scrape the muffler or something? P.s. It scares the **** out of me when I scrape during cornering.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll still scrape kick stand I would imagine. The only thing I have ever scraped is kick stand.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Drdriller
If you just replace the foot pegs , when you corner, will you scrape the muffler or something? P.s. It scares the **** out of me when I scrape during cornering.

Have you ground something yet on your Superlow? The "feelers" on the footpegs are kind of made to give you some warning before anything hard scrapes. And the pegs fold up also. I've read road tests of the SL where the riders scraped and busted the feelers off. And yes, it is possible to scrape the exhaust. That's why, if you really want some good clearance, you'd have to go with longer shocks (like 13" even), and the longer fork tubes. You could go with a set of Progressive shocks. Your HD dealer can order them from Drag Specialties. They seem to come in 1/2" increments. like 11.0", 11.5", 12.0", etc. You could try just replacing the shocks first to see how much it would help. Then, if you need more clearance, order the fork tubes.

Unfortunetely, Harley-Davidson is moving towards these lowered Sportsters (and big twins also) to appeal to 1.lady riders and 2.people that like the "slammed" looks of a lowered bike. They have dropped the fine XL883 (like mine), XL883R,and XL1200R. These bikes all had the normal standard length suspension that allows some hot rodding in the corners without scrapeing. The Superlow has some very good assets. The new cast wheels for the new radial tires is a big step. The XR1200 also has radial tires from the factroy-but it has the longer suspension for good cornering clearance. The Nightster,Iron,48, "L" model (XL1200L), the Superlow, and the previous XL883C and XL1200C (Custom models) all have shortened suspension. I haven't taken a look at the new 1200 Custom, but I bet ir's a shortened one also. That's not to say that I don't like the looks of these bikes--I do, but my old 57 year old self still enjoys going through the corners hot, and a shower of sparks really ruins the moment. I believe the "Sportster" was designed for spirited riding and dropping all the models with the longer suspension is a mistake. If one is happy just putting around, then no problem. But they used to make models of both types. Right now you either buy a lowered Sportster or an XR1200X. I love the XR1200X, but I also like my XL883. And it's sad that a Superlow buyer has to spend a bunch of $ to get decent cornering clearance.

If you are handy, you could replace the shocks yourself-it's not a hard job. Replacing the fork tubes is tougher. I'd like to see HD make, basically, the Superlow with longer suspension. It could be the only difference between the two models. It could be the new XL883 (standard model) and the current XL883L (Superlow).

Anyway, you might want to talk to the service Dept at your dealer and get an estimate. I think you'd have a great bike in the end. Radial tires, Fuel injection, 4.5 gallon tank, decent seat etc. The 883 engine is a fine one and has enough power stock for many of us. Maybe you could test ride a used bike with standard suspension to see what it feels like.

Hope everything works out for you.

Jon

Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Drdriller
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new 1200 custom. It sucks to have to change the shocks and fork tubes to get better clearance. I agree with you on thinking the sportster is for more aggressive riding. Every time I u turn under the interstate here in Texas, I scrape the foot peg.

I am 6' 2" so I can definitely tolerate a higher bike. If I go with the max length shocks and fork tubes, what kind of height increase can I expect?

I am also thinking of just buying a bigger bike, since the new custom was my first bike.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by birdmove
Have you ground something yet on your Superlow? The "feelers" on the footpegs are kind of made to give you some warning before anything hard scrapes. And the pegs fold up also. I've read road tests of the SL where the riders scraped and busted the feelers off. And yes, it is possible to scrape the exhaust.
I've found most of the time I hit the right feeler, I'm getting into the exhaust as well. There's a small scrape area on the front muffler toward the back. The heads of the bolts are getting hit pretty good as well. Left side I haven't noticed hitting anything hard yet. This is on a SuperLow. I may try swapping out with a set of 13" in the back. I'm also considering a different exhaust, though I don't know how much that would help.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Sure!!! Just add taller shocks. Say 12" or 13" shocks will work.
agreed.....but that defeats the purpose of a "super low" doesn't it? lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
birdmove
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bmxatv
agreed.....but that defeats the purpose of a "super low" doesn't it? lol.
It does. But ya can't have it both ways it seems.

If you are already grinding the exhaust it's time to install some 13" shocks and then ride it. That may be enough.

Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: improve cornering clearance superlow