Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Victour Victour is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default Starter Problems ! NOT!

Ok ! I took the Starter apart because even with jumper cables, skinny ones.. The bike will not turn over.. only clicking with the Chatter.. I had put in a New $58. battery that made no difference on another Bike that was doing the same thing.. I had taken the starter and Solenoid apart and cleaned the contacts. Still nothing on the other bike I went and bought a Dry Cell Battery with 550 cranking amps. then had no more problems... Even after sitting a month or longer..I guess this may be my current problem with the sporty. the starter Runs but No power to spin past taking the slack out of the chain.. Is that what I need for the Sporty.. ??? It has a Advance Auto battery now.. and it did start the bike for a while... Advanced says it is still good just needs charging. I had charged it overnight the day before and tried it...The Guy at the Harley shop said he would check the Starter.. $35.00 that could go to a New battery.... This Sporty was a 1996 Trophy Bike.. and only had 5000 miles on it when I bought it.. the Brake and Clutch Handle show signs of pavement wear..SAD !!! All the wires are clean and tight.. so I don't know..???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
mreed's Avatar
mreed mreed is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,194
Default

A little tricky to follow Vic. So you have 2 bikes doing the same thing?
__________________
<a href=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/reactivecustoms/Led%20Sled%20hardtail/0204120112a.jpg target=_blank>http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...204120112a.jpg</a>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 AM
sportsterleroy sportsterleroy is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South euclid ohio-east side of Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 111
Default

Check your battery cables. Pull on them and see if they break. It is common that they corode under the plastic insulation but you cant see it by looking.
Leroy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
WRAITH's Avatar
WRAITH WRAITH is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mission,BC.Canada
Posts: 1,278
Default

A common problem with Sporties is the starter clutch (starter drive). When you hit the start button, you here a click and the starter tries to turn but nothing happens. The starter appears to operate normally when removed. I've gone through 4 starter drives in the last 100,000 miles, all with similar symptoms. A starter clutch will cost 60-120 bucks and is easy to install. Another problem with 90's Sporties is bad ground cables. For some reason, the cables suffer from internal breaks about half way down. replacing the ground cable is easy to do.
__________________
2006 XL1200c. Stage 1, Chain drive(say no to rubber bands). I am a Rider, not just an owner.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
sportsterleroy sportsterleroy is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South euclid ohio-east side of Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 111
Default

I really would wonder the starter going out in only 5k? My 96 has 85k and never have been near the starter yet. That year uses the 1200 style starter in both the 1200 engines and the 883 models.

leroy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
JokerRides JokerRides is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: May 2011
Location: jacksonville NC
Posts: 47
Default

i have the same problem with my 1999 1200. SClick the image to open in full size.tarts fine 60% of the time the other 40% starter either hangs up or makes grind noise n smoke out the carb. didn't start doing this until i put dyno coil new ignition, battery ,wiring, starter booster relay, jets in carb. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Voony Voony is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: D.C.
Posts: 2,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerRides View Post
i have the same problem with my 1999 1200. SClick the image to open in full size.tarts fine 60% of the time the other 40% starter either hangs up or makes grind noise n smoke out the carb. didn't start doing this until i put dyno coil new ignition, battery ,wiring, starter booster relay, jets in carb. any suggestions?
I had that problem with my 02 when the battery cables were slightly loose...to start the bike I'd hold the battery up, hit the starter, et voila :-)

Btw, your bike is insanely good looking!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM
xFreebirdx's Avatar
xFreebirdx xFreebirdx is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Landrum, SC , elevation 986'
Posts: 7,480
Default

"For from the fact that, to be skeptical about morality, one need not be non-skeptical about every other area, Bett invalidly infers that, to be skeptical about morality, one need not be non-skeptical about any other area. That is to say, to deny the objectivity of morality, it is not necessary to have confidence in the objectivity of every other way of looking at the world; but it does not follow from this that, to deny the objectivity of morality, one need not be certain about the objectivity of at least one other way of looking at the world."
__________________
800 Open Mod 268hp (Rotax)
617 Mach1 on NOS (Rotax)
1996 D3500 V10 425hp 600+lbs tq.
1996 HD 1250 XLH "Custom" Stage 2 Heads, SE.497 Cams, SE Prog. Race Ignition.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over the Opinion of Sheep.
Vet: ★US ARMY 78 - 81★Patriot Guard Rider ID#45266 07/06/06★
1996 HD 1250 XLH
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
davidearlcox davidearlcox is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, Ga.
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx View Post
"For from the fact that, to be skeptical about morality, one need not be non-skeptical about every other area, Bett invalidly infers that, to be skeptical about morality, one need not be non-skeptical about any other area. That is to say, to deny the objectivity of morality, it is not necessary to have confidence in the objectivity of every other way of looking at the world; but it does not follow from this that, to deny the objectivity of morality, one need not be certain about the objectivity of at least one other way of looking at the world."
Ok. Are we still talking about Sportster starters and batteries?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Pappassportster's Avatar
Pappassportster Pappassportster is offline
New Guy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 66
Default

^^^^^ Lol
__________________
A man is only as good as his word!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Tags
bad, battery, cell, davidson, dennis, dry, good, harley, kirk, problems, relay, solenoid, spinning, sportster, starter, symptoms


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1