Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to drill my bars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need to drill my bars...

Where do I drill? How big? Best bit for the job? Gracias!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I'm going to go ahead and answer potato because you haven't told us why you're drilling your bars or even which kind of bars you have.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
gravitystrykes
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are u drilling for? I guess a generic answer would be....... when your drilling into a tubular shape u are going to need to use a nail set/tap to make a small divet so the drill bit doesn't slide off then u should be able to drill away. Oh and i have found that the best bits are Titanium coated drill bits.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Make sure you drill oblong holes and file them up smooth as butter next to the dimples by the hand controls. The dimples help keep the wires from being pinched and a better angle to the hole. Unless you've done it a lot, its best to use bars that can be either internal or external wiring. They usually have all the dimples in the right spots. You also can dimple your own bars.....

There is a lot of info here............. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...al-wiring.html

Good luck!

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 05-23-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Drill closer to the red dot than the yellow dot. If you poke the wires out too far from the switch housing they'll show. Put your grip and switch housing on the bars and put a piece of tape to indicate where the switch housing terminates.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
fkaluddite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i use a step bit... works great then run a dremil though it you should be able to pull a cotton ball though and not have it get caught so the wires are safe...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by X04D
I'm going to go ahead and answer potato because you haven't told us why you're drilling your bars or even which kind of bars you have.
what difference does it make? what a smartass answer to a serious qustion. all our bars are 1 inch tubular peices of metal. who gives a sh*t what kind of bar it is...as if thats going to make a difference. Nice going smart guy.

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Make sure you drill oblong holes and file them up smooth as butter next to the dimples by the hand controls. The dimples help keep the wires from being pinched and a better angle to the hole. Unless you've done it a lot, its best to use bars that can be either internal or external wiring. They usually have all the dimples in the right spots. You also can dimple your own bars.....

There is a lot of info here............. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...al-wiring.html

Good luck!
gracias amigo!
very helpful man. Thanks!
Originally Posted by JRK5892
i use a step bit... works great then run a dremil though it you should be able to pull a cotton ball though and not have it get caught so the wires are safe...
Thats what I had originally thought when I was considering bits.. Thanks amigo!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cpitch
what difference does it make? what a smartass answer to a serious qustion. all our bars are 1 inch tubular peices of metal. who gives a sh*t what kind of bar it is...as if thats going to make a difference. Nice going smart guy.
You didn't specify if you were going to internally wire or just looking to put bar-end mirrors on. Also, there are many styles of bars so even if I could assume you were internally wiring it could change where you have to drill. Don't get all excited.

Quick Reply: I need to drill my bars...