Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default How loud are V&H Big Radius 2 into 2?

Hi

I've got a 2008 Nightster currently with Cycle Shack slip-ons. They sound great. Just perfect as a matter of fact.

However, I don't like the cycle shack looks. But I love the look of V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 black: http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...ius22-blk.html

I live in an area with a noise restriction by-law and am wondering how much louder the V&H are compared to the cycle shack slip-ons. Does anyone know?

Also, is it possible to get after market baffles for these to quiet them down a bit if they are too loud?

Thanks for any help

Raz
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Road Captain

I too had Cycle Shack slip-ons before i put the V&H big radius on. In my opinion they are very nearly the same with the stock baffles in. At first you may think the V&H are slightly louder but i believe that is because the Cycle Shacks are slash cut downward directing most of the sound down and to your rear, away from you, while the V&H are slash cut more to the side, allowing more of the sound to be heard by the rider.

06 1200c
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
One Of The Regulars

mine supposedly put out 114 db. MA has a legal limit of 97 db. im going to look into some quiet baffles
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Hang Around

I have them on my nightster and they are pretty damn loud, they are not much if any quieter than the short shots. I looked at and listened to a lot of different exhaust systems before I bought the big radius, they had the best of both worlds in looks and sound of everything I looked at.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazimere View Post
I too had Cycle Shack slip-ons before i put the V&H big radius on. In my opinion they are very nearly the same with the stock baffles in. At first you may think the V&H are slightly louder but i believe that is because the Cycle Shacks are slash cut downward directing most of the sound down and to your rear, away from you, while the V&H are slash cut more to the side, allowing more of the sound to be heard by the rider.
Wow, if they sound like the cycle shacks then that's great. I thought they would be much louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbmustang View Post
mine supposedly put out 114 db. MA has a legal limit of 97 db. im going to look into some quiet baffles
Just in case they are too loud for my neighborhood, does anyone know if after market baffles are available for the Big Radius. Where's a good place to check?

Thanks again,
Raz
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 PM

They do come with baffles installed. I took mine out, people seem to complain riding behind me....rock on!

2011 Sedona Orange Fat Bob
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ozman View Post
They do come with baffles installed. I took mine out, people seem to complain riding behind me....rock on!
Funny, I was thinking of putting in quieter baffles.

A few questions:

1. Don't you need the baffles to get some back pressure?
2. Did you have to do a remap when you took the baffles out?
3. Can anyone recommend a Fuelpack for the Big Radius? V&H recommend their own, but I don't know if others would also work.

Thanks again,
Raz
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Rider
k0ntank3rous Charlie Sabens k0ntank3rous
Send a message via AIM to Kontankerous Send a message via Yahoo to Kontankerous

It's going to come down to what you want to do with your bike. Fuelpak is good for the OTS tunes that V&H has and it's built with leniency in the curve. The more precise tuning is going to get a little more pricey one for the unit, like a PC V, and two for the time it takes a tuner to dyno/tune the ECU.

If all you're doing is adding components that V&H have tunes for, I would go strictly for the Fuelpak and maybe a x14ied for the closed loop driving.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Elite HDF Member

Never heard a set on a Sporty, but my buddy has them on his 2008 Rocker C and they are loud with the baffles in. I have the baffles out of my Martin Bros pipes and they get loud when you get on it and the back idle is just awesome sounding.
2007 Sportster. XL50 1200 #674 Black. Martin Bros Two Down pipes, SE Stage I AC, PC III-custom tune, SE clutch, Forwards, Drag Bars, solo seat and a ton of bolt on's.
2006 Suzuki C50 fenderless bobber, old school gasser look
2014 WRX 5-door
1987 Trans Am WS6 T-top.
1969 Honda Z50, 79 Z50, 84 Z50.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM

P