Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejetting the Carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejetting the Carb

I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket free flow air cleaner and I'm looking for info on rejetting the carb.

My bike is an 04 1200C with Screaming Eagle pipes and currently a stock AC. With the new AC I want to rejet the carb so the bike won't run too lean. I have the service manual for the removal and disassembly so that's not a problem.

I just read an article by Joe Minton with American Iron Magazine (May 2011) "By the Numbers, Tuning a Stock CV Carb" and have some questions maybe some of you can comment on.

In the article he states "Personally, I've found that a 42 slow jet was the best size for every Keihn I've tuned and cannot recall ever using any other". My 04 1200 comes with the 42 stock so I don't plan on changing it. Comments?

Another comment Minton makes in the article is "The stock main jet is usually correct for a harley fitted with a free flowing air cleaner and exhaust system". So essentially he says to leave the main jet alone too.

In the end the only adjustments Minton recommends is changing the needle jet (in the top of the carb) and adjusting the idle mixture screw (after drilling out the cap). Minton says the "magic needle" was developed for the early 1200 Sportster, part number 27094-88, and is still sold by Harley.

Have any of you done this? Did it work? Is this what the dealer would do? I've read that you should stay out of the top of the carb but it sounds simple.

Give me some feedback please.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Haven't read Minton's article but my '05 XL1200R needed a 48 Slow Jet and a 185 main to run properly (without "farts" or hesitation) when I swapped the stock A/C for the S&S A/C and went to SE II (original) slip-ons with BCT baffles. My bike runs amazingly well with these combinations.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The Harley Performance website is the best thing going for tuning a CV carb.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM
gravitystrykes
Intermediate

I just re-jetted my bike with the help of an awsome article in "american iron magazine". Basically it goes on to explain that the best results come from replacing the needle & slow jet. In most cases the main jet is the right size. For even more adjustability there is an air mixture screw that can be adjusted once the aluminum plug is drilled out.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
gravitystrykes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gravitystrykes
I just re-jetted my bike with the help of an awsome article in "american iron magazine". Basically it goes on to explain that the best results come from replacing the needle & slow jet. In most cases the main jet is the right size. For even more adjustability there is an air mixture screw that can be adjusted once the aluminum plug is drilled out.
I'm quoting my own msg to answer yes I did these exact adjustments and it was easy! My bike has never run better! Alittle tip; when drill the plug use a 9/64" bit seemed to be the right size to work the plug out. And I went ahead and used the 42 slow jet seems to be the right one for me! This has been the best mod I have done to my bike yet!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
The Harley Performance website is the best thing going for tuning a CV carb.
Yeah I've done a little reading there, pretty good site.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I think your referring to the same article.

I'm quoting my own msg to answer yes I did these exact adjustments and it was easy! My bike has never run better! Alittle tip; when drill the plug use a 9/64" bit seemed to be the right size to work the plug out. And I went ahead and used the 42 slow jet seems to be the right one for me! This has been the best mod I have done to my bike yet!
Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Haven't read Minton's article but my '05 XL1200R needed a 48 Slow Jet and a 185 main to run properly (without "farts" or hesitation) when I swapped the stock A/C for the S&S A/C and went to SE II (original) slip-ons with BCT baffles. My bike runs amazingly well with these combinations.
Manual says my main is 170/195, so I guess I'm some where in between those numbers, not sure.

It sounds like the Minton procedure is a little simpler since I only have to change the one needle.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a 46/180 in mine, didn't have to touch the screw. Bike runs great!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 95th 1200
I have a 46/180 in mine, didn't have to touch the screw. Bike runs great!
I stopped in at the dealer and was told they change the slow jet to a 45 and pretty much leave everthing else alone. What they do conflicts with the mag article but I know that doesn't mean it's wrong.

I've read some other threads on jetting and it seems everyone has something different. Guess I'll just have to play around with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Rejetting the Carb