Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just quit my job (bored). ICM relocate and new seat in the works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just quit my job (bored). ICM relocate and new seat in the works.

The seat will be the hard part for me, but I'll give it a shot

I'm relocating the ICM from under my seat. It's held on with 2 nuts. Once the nuts are removed and you pull the ICM out of the way - 2 studs are revealed that screw into the oil bag. Do these studs ACTUALLY support the oil bag and hold it in place? If not, I will ditch the studs. If they do, I will run to Lowes and get the appropriate size bolts to refasten the bag. Anyone know?

Also, not sure if I'm gonna dump my Lepera solo seat or not. If I do - anyone interested in it?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
The seat will be the hard part for me, but I'll give it a shot

I'm relocating the ICM from under my seat. It's held on with 2 nuts. Once the nuts are removed and you pull the ICM out of the way - 2 studs are revealed that screw into the oil bag. Do these studs ACTUALLY support the oil bag and hold it in place? If not, I will ditch the studs. If they do, I will run to Lowes and get the appropriate size bolts to refasten the bag. Anyone know?

Also, not sure if I'm gonna dump my Lepera solo seat or not. If I do - anyone interested in it?

will it fit 04 and up?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup, mine's an 06 model.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
9vapors
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine on my 2010 hold the oil tank in place, and your setup doesn't look much different in terms of the location of those bolts. I would think that that is just a threaded post that can be unscrewed from the oil tank and bolts can replace them.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpitch
will it fit 04 and up?
It should fit an 04 - 06.
Most seats changed for 07up to accommodate the switch from the ICM to ECM.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Bike hasn't been running in a couple days, killed that battery trying to start it up. All I did was move the ICM!!!

I wonder if I fvcked something up? Dammit!.....

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Got the bike started

IDK what to do about a seat. I'm ready to tie a bandana around the seat frame and call it a day. hahaha

Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pretty sure i have the same studs on my 08 and they do hold the oil bag in place but they don't stick up like yours, mine are more flush to the frame. take a grinder to them and chop them down or replace with smaller bolts. just make sure they're torqued to spec with some loctite. then, get yourself a seat and rigid mount that bitch. you're running suspension again right? get yourself some bushings or something for the seat studs (or run springs if you want) and get it on there!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bmxatv
pretty sure i have the same studs on my 08 and they do hold the oil bag in place but they don't stick up like yours, mine are more flush to the frame. take a grinder to them and chop them down or replace with smaller bolts. just make sure they're torqued to spec with some loctite. then, get yourself a seat and rigid mount that bitch. you're running suspension again right? get yourself some bushings or something for the seat studs (or run springs if you want) and get it on there!
I figured thos little bolts helped secure the bag. I went to lowes and got some that bolt in and mount flush.

I'm not sure what to do about a seat. I don't wanna buy one. I have an assload of tools, but there all pneumatic and I just quit my job where there was a compressor and a mig welder - I have neither at home. Not sure what to do, but the Lepera is not going back on. I want a tiny little pad for a seat. Kinda like a passenger pillon on a rear fender style.

Quick Reply: Just quit my job (bored). ICM relocate and new seat in the works.