Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not mechanicaly inclined either, and yes I feel obligated to modify my bike so it's different than other nightsters out there.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Krull883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 883 Custom to comute to work and some cruisin here and there. The clutch cable was rusted out at the adjustment so I replaced it with a steel braided one and the **** on the clutch lever was broken so I replaced that too. I put some E3s in it because I have always had great results with them in everything else I own.

Other than the work that needed to be done and a tail light cover replaced I plan to keep it the way it is for a looong time. Next bike is gonna be a dual purpose and that one will probably get lots of mods. Might get one of them Harley dual purpose bikes. I like the sound of the engine on Harleys........

Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
I think it comes from what your riding history is. If you're basically new to riding or getting back on a bike after a long hiatus, there really isn't the perceived need to make performance enhancements. The Sportster in and of itself is a cool, fun bike. If you've been riding for a while, you tend to strive for continuous performance gains.
You hit it right on with Me Ken. Starting out on the flat head Mustang,geting into the TR 550, Norton 750, there was no other choice for me but a 1200 sport. Stage one keeps the Scoot the way I have always been on. No need to go past that just putten around with the quick highway fun.

JonMon

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Meh.
It's something to do.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM
PAsportster
Tourer

i went "***** to the wall" with mods...

Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually have mine 99% the way I want it. So now I enjoy helping other people get their bikes the way they want them. Untill the wife gets a new bike and I can strip the one she has now.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Mods to let more fuel in and air out to keep the engine running cooler is a must in my book for all HD bikes. Far as me .... Yea I felt the need. I got mine running really well so I am happen till I need a new motor. It looks good also.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
toxic
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your trying to tell me that there are actually people in this world that just leave things the he!! alone, and dont feel the need to modify everything. Wow I always thought that was just some kind of urban myth.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM
birdmove
Cruiser

Originally Posted by toxic
So your trying to tell me that there are actually people in this world that just leave things the he!! alone, and dont feel the need to modify everything. Wow I always thought that was just some kind of urban myth.

Yes, there are, and one of them is me. I bought my 2006 XL883 used from the HD dealership I work at in Decermber of 2008. It was stock except for the Sundowner seat and it had passenger footpegs (the XL883 came stock with solo seat and no passenger footpegs). I got rid of the Sundowner because, to me, it looked huge on a Sportster-a motorcycle that is meant to look, and be, more lean and mean. I traded for a seat from a Custom model. That's it. No other mods. And it does everything I need in a street bike just as it is.

Everyone must know that when you spend a pile to mod your bike you never get it back when it's time to sell or trade it in. People like to think that it adds value to a bike, but it does not. One mans neccesary mod may cost the next guy money to get rid of it. As an example--forward controls. To you they might be a neccesity. To me they would have to go because they lesson cornering clearance and control of the motorcycle.

I'm 57 and have ridden motorcycles for 50 years. A young guy that I work with recently bought a used Nighster. Nice looking bike, but with loud exhaust (another add-on I don't need or want). One day he fell in behind me on the way to work. I found out later he was telling some of the others at work that he couldn't believe how far I was leaning my XL883 in the twisties. That's because my bike has standard length suspension and good cornering clearance. His Nightster comes with shorter shocks and fork tubes and scrapes way sooner than mine does in a corner.Riding is a blast, but the corners are where the real fun is.

The most likely mod I would consider doing to my Sportster is possibly putting the gas tank from a 2004-2006 Custom model on it just because it gives a longer cruising range.

It just depends on what is important to you.

Jon

Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 AM
TWIS1UP
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot
Yes, I absolutely feel the need to modify.

When I was a little kid I made models different than the box, when I got a little older we stripped our schwinn bicycles to the bone and put on solo seats. Every car or motorcycle I've ever owned has been subject to "testing". Machines are only FAST for a month, then somehow they get slow again.

I got a little 48 so I could have a toy that wasn't race oriented. I figured that way I'd simply get an exhaust that rumbles and cruise around just chillaxin'...

...Three weeks later I want to strip the thing to it's frame and put it back together with twice as much motor and half the parts. At least I have a good woman who can remind me of what exactly the damn plan is regarding my new toy, for the times when I loose my marbles in an avgas fueled delusion of mechanical grandeur. I gotta remember to just get the exhaust, the air cleaner, the ied's, and then just remove stuff, clean up some wiring, relocate a few items, change the handlebars, drop the front signals, shave the rear signals, make a seat, upgrade the brake pads, change out the light, get different grips...

Save yourself perhaps, for me it is hopeless.

Mmmmmm Avgas! 100 oct blue Kool-Aid!

Quick Reply: Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?