Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Store Your Bike Outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

it would be fine with a good bike cover,my bikes have never been left outside..could you get one of them $300 sheds from lowes,put it in a parking space,the bike is entitled to the whole space..lots of people keep there bike in a storage building..keep it there till/if someone says something,then move it to another storage building,there is plenty of them around.the worst they can do is tell you to move out of the storage..

Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
jimmy85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine outside (live in apartment complex also). There are several bikes around here and have not heard anything about people messing with any of them. Everyone of them is covered. I say buy you some good covers and go get them. I'm sure you have insurance, JUST IN CASE some one did happen to mess with it. Also, park it near your building and not far off where no one else parks. If its in a highly visible, high traffic area I'm sure it would be less likely to get f*ucked with.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Post Outside, jacked ripped, or sold, what the heII

Sir,

First I'm a ex-St. Louisin and fully feel anguish at the Joplin story, Tell Obama to turn off the friggin HAARP!

Second, remember out of sight, out of mind. If you simply can not find any place to store your ride, cover it, hide it get a storage shed, anything to get your ride to your place. I suggest you sit outside for a few nights and scope the neighborhood, re-con baby.

Get a cover and bring you ride to you, get a loud alarm, maybe a movement sensor alarm.

I currently store my bike under a 2 & 1/2 car parking area (metal roof within 3 short walls) chained, with a motion alarm and the bike alarm. Oh yeah also a camera and motion halogen spotlight light. All this on a gated Kibbutz in Israel Upper Golan where almost everything not nailed down gets jacked.

Your call bud, but I say grow some kahunas and get YOUR ride to your new home and only sell to UPGRADE!!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live downtown so I have no choice but to put it in a public parking lot every day. I don't cover it either because that's too much of a pain in the ***.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
FlatIron
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Doc, i know how you feel but i am in a bit different situation. I live in new jersey (Car Theft Capitol of the Nation) The area i live in is not a ghetto, but its also not the best area around town. I have my iron locked up to a fence on a business owned sidewalk( I asked the business owner's permission to lock my bike to her fence) At 1st i was really worried but i realized everyday that nobody has touched it... i don't even have a cover on it yet... consider the rain a little bash for the bike, mine gets cleaner every time! hahah. During winter i do have a sport to store it away from the snow and rain. In all honesty once you have a good lock i dont think you need to worry, i would thing Fairview, NJ is worse then Springfield, MO just pick up one of these bad boys!(http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Outlet...=1002&pid=1243) and an anchor(http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Outlet...scid=&pid=1161)

Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Doc,,,you on the bottom floor ?
Throw the coffie table In the dumpster,
A bike looks real Nice In the Livingroom.

As for the wife,,remind her who wear the pants In the family XD
On the second floor,,Move.
Or rent a storage unit close by.

I got the screamin alarm, It sits in the garage.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do anything possible to not keep it outside. That said, if I was presented with keeping it outside, and not having it.... I'd be keeping it outside. If possible toss an alarm with a remote on it, put a non-harley cover over it, and if possible cable lock it to something.

It's obvious they mean a lot to you. They weathered the storm... they can handle a complex for a little bit. They're motorcycles, not porcelain dolls.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Hooah09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept my Iron outside at my first apartment, before I had a garage. And in a kinda shady part of town. I would lock it up with a Kryptonite lock on the rear sproket and the steering lock on. I would also keep it covered ALL the time. It's amazing what just having your bike out of sight can do to prevent theft. And I never had a single problem. Now of course I have no idea what your circumstances are, but parking your bike outside is surely not a death sentence for it! (And after all, even if something did happen, this is why we have insurance!)

Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
diablo666
Road Master

I have kept a bike outside on a porch in the winter before.Spring came and off I went.Bike was fine and stored in a bad area.I guess the criminals felt if I had the ***** to do that they would be better off leaving it alone.As far as insurance,check your policy.If you told them they would be stored under lock and key you may not be covered out in the open.Check first and let them know.Your rates will most likely go up though.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
TWIS1UP
Cruiser

Fortunately I've never had too. I've always had a garage.

Quick Reply: Would You Store Your Bike Outside?